What's new

Converting S-Video to Component Video? (1 Viewer)

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I see that many newer receivers now offer the ability to convert s-video and composite inputs to component output. Unfortuanately, my two year old model does not do this. Does anyone know of an external converter box that can take an s-video signal and output component video? I know that I will not gain anything as far as video quality, but it is a pain to switch my projector to s-video when I am using my DirecTivo, and back to component when I want to watch a DVD. Also, this process is nearly impossible for other people in the house, so they end up watching everything in s-video.

I have searched on google and all I could find were very expensive multi-input rack-mounted things that look like they are overkill for my application.

(Yes, I know they made an HD DirecTivo now, which has component video outputs. I do not have $999 to buy one of those, or a new receiver that can upconvert video internally. I need a fairly cheap solution.)

Thanks for any advice.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Adam,
What you are looking for is a "Scaler".
Do a search for products by DVDO.
I am currently looking at their iScan HD unit.
They have lower level units that do what you are talking about.
I have seen some of the iScan Ultra units on E-Bay and such.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice. The discontinued iScan Plus looks like it will do just what I want, and I can get a reasonable price on ebay.

Has anyone used one of these? Will the de-interlacing improve video quality at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks