Converting S-Video to Component Video?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Adam*M, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Adam*M

Adam*M Stunt Coordinator

I see that many newer receivers now offer the ability to convert s-video and composite inputs to component output. Unfortuanately, my two year old model does not do this. Does anyone know of an external converter box that can take an s-video signal and output component video? I know that I will not gain anything as far as video quality, but it is a pain to switch my projector to s-video when I am using my DirecTivo, and back to component when I want to watch a DVD. Also, this process is nearly impossible for other people in the house, so they end up watching everything in s-video.

I have searched on google and all I could find were very expensive multi-input rack-mounted things that look like they are overkill for my application.

(Yes, I know they made an HD DirecTivo now, which has component video outputs. I do not have $999 to buy one of those, or a new receiver that can upconvert video internally. I need a fairly cheap solution.)

Thanks for any advice.

2. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Adam,
    What you are looking for is a "Scaler".
    Do a search for products by DVDO.
    I am currently looking at their iScan HD unit.
    They have lower level units that do what you are talking about.
    I have seen some of the iScan Ultra units on E-Bay and such.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

3. Adam*M

Adam*M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice. The discontinued iScan Plus looks like it will do just what I want, and I can get a reasonable price on ebay.

Has anyone used one of these? Will the de-interlacing improve video quality at all?