What's new

Converting Power Cord to Battery Pack (1 Viewer)

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone!

This is my first time in the DIY section. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Just a brief overview. I recently bought one of those pictures that has little lights on it at certain parts of the picture (it happens to be a picture of some cars, and the headlights actually *light up*). Anyways, its going to look great in my movie room, except for the long ugly cord that comes out from the bottom of it. I know I could hard wire it into my wall but to be honest it was a cheap little $50 dollar picture and I don't wanna work that hard for it. So this was my new plan. Build a little battery pack for it. There is space behind the frame for probably one or two 9v batteries, so hopefully this works out. Also, there is an on/off button, so I'll only have it on when I'm entertaining people, and the batteries should last a long time.

Anyways, here are the specifics. The cord connects to the picture via a typical circular input, one of the bigger ones (it seems to be about the same size as the PSP one. The transformer box that plugs into the wall says this:

MINI-PICS
AC WALL ADAPTER
FOR ELECTRONIC ART
Model: 35 - D09 - 300
Input: 120VAC 60hz 6w
Output: 9VDC 300mA
Class 2 Transformer

Now, I'm not really all that good at electrical stuff, but it's only a few lights, so I don't see why a 9v or two wouldnt work. Only problem is that I have no idea how to wire it all up. So, if y'all wouldn't mind lending a helping hand, could you guys give me a basic overview with pictures (or RadioShack links) for the type of things I need to pick up? Thank you so much for any help, and if you have any other questions then please ask.

Thanks
Michael Sileck

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Cut the plug from the transformer, strip some insulation from the wires and attach them to a 9v transistor battery. If the bulb is incandescent the polarity shouldn't matter. If it works, get a proper battery connector from Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search . If you don't want to use the plug from your transformer you could probably get one of those from Radio shack also.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Don’t know what your idea of “a long time” is, but consider that the parking lights in a car (which really aren’t that bright) will usually run down a huge car battery in eight hours or so. I don’t think a pair of dinky (i.e., low capacity) 9v batteries is going to last more than a few hours at most. Keep us posted, it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
You'll get an hour or two at most if it draws the full 300mA. Parallel more 9V batteries for more lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks