"Converting" one's spouse to home theater.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray S, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Ray S

Ray S Auditioning

when i first got married my wifes reaction to my obsession with all things home theater was one of grudging acceptance. three years ago a new amp and a dvd player started to bring her around and now she has informed me that next thursday is a ladies movie night. i was wondering if alot of you have spouses (i dont want to assume we are all men here) that have grown to at least have a passing interest or have become real junkies like us. now i have to convince her that a bigger tv would be to make her ladies nights better [​IMG]

2. Ryan Potts

Ryan Potts Stunt Coordinator

I guess you could say I'm one of the lucky ones. I married a woman who is as much into it as I am. Of course the trick is to hold her back until we are ready to do some upgrades...
    I have to be extra careful what I say here though, as she reads and posts here too. [​IMG]

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I too, have a cool wife that is more and more enjoying the movie side of my recent overhaul. She enjoys the almost reference level of movies and concert dvd's. Now, if the Dixie Chicks come out on SACD, I might be able to convert her to hi rez[​IMG]

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

My wife enjoys the end results of the HT gear -- a fine film-watching experience. She does not have much interest in the equipment itself, but she is always understanding when I feel the need to upgrade a component (although the two rear center speakers currently blocking our fireplace did generate some discussion [​IMG] ).

5. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I'm lucky; My wife loves our system as much as I do, and due to her having worked at a high-end HT product company for 6 years as a technician, she's really appreciative of *phile level gear. We lay around and fantasize about the next upgrade to our system.
    And she also just upgraded our processor to the next level herself. (I love her!)[​IMG]

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please note that several members of HTF also happen to be women--and they joined this Forum (and got into home theater itself) without the help of men or their significant others (assuming they have or need such in their lives). Ergo, the thread's title has been changed to reflect that.

I have received complaints from some of our women members about thread titles that mention "wives" or "girlfriends" needing to be turned on to technology. Please try to remember that when posting your thread titles. Thanks!

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yep I can relate to that because my wife useed to say "what, speakers again???" and now she informs me of upcoming releases and stuff. Mind you, I haven't been quite booted off my own equipment like you have on the ladies' night. [​IMG]

8. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Are you kidding? My wife is beginning her own dvd collection and will soon be catching up to me. She loves the romance and drama, I prefer the action and suspense.

9. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

My wife promised me a home theater way back in the 80s! Of course, I'm still waiting on the wide screen TV (I'm still watching everything on a 35-inch trinitron), but I imagine I'll have a digital one sometime in the next three years. My sound, on the other hand, is awesome, 5.1/DTS-awesome.