converting internal cd-rw to external?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

is it possible, or economically feasible, to convert an internal burner to an external one?

i've got an old burner that works perfectly and my friend could use one. but she has one of those hp e-pc's. the thing looks like a small toaster with no expansion slots.

i guess my biggest question is how would i connect it to the board if it's external?

anyway, any info is appreciated.

thx,

ted

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Prett darn hard. I f it was USB it would be easy, but because you need access to the MOBO to hook and unhook the IDE cable I'd say it isn't feasible.

Brent

3. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

You could easily change it to a USB or Firewire (guessing USB would be on the PC she has) with a case. I did the same thing for my laptop. Check them out, you can find them anywhere from like 35 to 50 bucks, if you hunt around you can find some good deals.
    Case
    Also I am guessing that usb would be fast enough if it is an older drive. You can usually get like 4x through usb without a problem. Hope this helps.
    -Svence

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Get a USB or FireWire case. It's a snap to pop the drive in and if your friend decides to get a faster drive or new machine in the future, you can use the external case for an IDE hard drive, which is what I use mine for.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

her pc is very similar to the one pictured here:
    [​IMG]
    it does have usb so i'll check around for these cases.
    thanks for the suggestions! [​IMG]