Converting half of a 2 car garage into a HT room... looking for pics please!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sonnie Parker, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

I'm about to enclose half of our garage and make a dedicated home theater room. It's about the least expensive way to go about it for us... but the wife says she doesn't believe anyone would ever do such.

Although she has agreed to let me do it... she still thinks I'm crazy. I know of a couple of people around here that have done it but would like to see as many as possible.

So, if you converted your garage into a home theater would you please give me a link so I can see your conversion. It would really be nice to see the exterior finish (if possible) as well as the interior.

Even if you don't have pics I'd still like to know if you converted your garage and what your wife (if you have one) thinks about it.

Thanks!

Oh and here's a layout diagram of the future Snapbug Theatre and a couple of snapshots of the garage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Hey Sonnie, you might have already seen my 2-car garage, but if not, here's an exterior pic.

[​IMG]

Click on the Driftwood link below to visit my site.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Sonnie Parker

Yep Ron... I got yours bookmarked to show her... it was the first I saw. My pics aren't quite up to par with yours but you notice the similar color scheme?

Nice work you did. The only difference will be ours has separate doors (which I'll enclose one) vs. yours has one larger door.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I wish I had two seperate garage doors, but my house was built back in the mid-60's and they did not exist back then.

I look forward to seeing pics of your progress, make sure you keep us up to date.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Sonnie Parker

Well I probably shouldn't have started 2 similar threads...

I've changed the layout probably since you've seen it Brandon... sorry about that. I think I answer some of these questions but I'd like to have your post in that thread if possible. Would it be to much to ask you to cut and paste it over there? Thanks if you do. I'll copy my answer again as well.

I explain why I've decided not to take the garage door down but it will still be non functional.

This thread

The problem I see with putting the door in the back is getting furniture in and out with the narrow corridor and having a riser in the rear of the room would cause me to have to step up when entering or make a cut out and have to add extra lighting. I don't believe it will be much of a distraction being on the side.

The seating can be anywhere from 11' (recommended THX for a 100" screen) to about 15' (max THX recommended) but we'll have seating probably between 11' and 18'.

FP decisions are not final but Z2, 2HD, or L500 are on the list.

Thanks!

6. BrandonR

BrandonR Stunt Coordinator

Sonnie, first off if you do it right, your wife will love it.
    I too wish I had separate garage doors, this alone is going to make your job alot easier. Just like in the Driftwood I had to create a drop ceiling in order for me to still be able to open and close my garage door. You won't have to do this.
    You said on your website you were going to make your front wall 12" thick. If you were to take down the garage door tracks and the opener and make the door non-operational then you can would only need a 2X4 wall and because you are in your garage already your side and back walls could be 2x4 as well. At least that's the way I did mine. Except for some bass here and there I can't hear anything in the rest of the house. Your fortunate that your garage is deep enough and you are able to construct a back wall separating your HT from the back wall of the garage. This will help with stopping sound transfer as well. A couple of thoughts about your layout. I would put the door in the back of the room because if you have to get up or someone comes in it's not that big a distraction. The same holds true with putting your equipment on the side of the room or perhaps in the back of the room. Also the closer the equipment is to the projector the less cables you have to run. Which could save you money.
    How far back is your seating from the screen and do you know what kind of FP your are going to use?

Hopefully this helps.
    Brandon