converting component to composite

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by rob hoinsky, Aug 10, 2005.

1. rob hoinsky

rob hoinsky Auditioning

i am looking for a way to run component and composite or s-video simultaneously from my xbox. the a/v pack only has component output. i could split the 3 channels and then run one set to my tv and the other to a component to composite or s-video converter, but i have been unable to find one.

where can i find such a device? can i convert it another way myself?

thanks,

rob

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If you have a device that only has component you'll need some time of expensive video distribution/switcher (if one even does exist - may want to look at extron.com or audioauthority.com or keydigital.com) that likely won't be worth the cost. If you're looking for another DVD-V source I would guess it is much cheaper to buy a cheap DVD player.

3. rob hoinsky

rob hoinsky Auditioning

i am looking to record my xbox games as i play them. i can do it fine when i use the original av pack that has both s-video and composite, but i want to continue to use the 480p and DD capability of my xbox. i could do this if i could easily convert to composite or s-video from component.
    thanks for the websites, i will check them out.

rob

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Technically speaking, what you are looking for is a NTSC encoder, a device which takes the luminance and colour-difference signals and generates a chroma subcarrier, either multiplexed with the luminance [composite] or not [S-Video]. An electronics hobbyist would have little trouble building a crude one, though it would not be exactly to spec. More convenient might be to get a cheap RF modulator which accepts component inputs: it has a NTSC encoder within it, and you could actually tap that -- though to do so would involve breaching the seal which could void you warranty and/or FCC license, and you'd want to kill the actual modulator part to avoid filling your neighbourhood with interference. Possibly the simplest solution would be to run the component video into a modulator, and then hook the modulator to an outboard TV tuner with a composite output [such as is found in many outboard Closed Caption decoders]. I think, actually, Radio Shack markets a transcoding distribution amplifier/switcher with component, S-Video, composite, and RF connectors on all inputs and outputs, although that might be a little much for your application.

5. rob hoinsky

rob hoinsky Auditioning

radioshack catolog number 15-1927

this switcher from radio shack looks like it will work. it has 4 inputs for component video and two outputs, although it doesn't say what they are. it seems that they both might be component. i will go to radio shack now to check it out.

rob

6. rob hoinsky

rob hoinsky Auditioning

nope, all component outputs

anything else i can do?

rob

7. rob hoinsky

rob hoinsky Auditioning

if no such device exists, i found a video capture device for $160 that accepts component inputs. i could replace the one i have now and with that and simply split the signal from my xbox. as of now this is best option since i cannpt find out how to convert component to composite or s-video.

rob

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm dont think you can do this. I think once you set the Xbox to show progressive, it will not also produce interlace at the same time (Svideo and Componsite are interlace video).

Be carefull when you read packages: "Component" video is 480 interlaced. Most things that accept this will not correctly process 480 progressive.