Converting an Infocus X1 to an RPTV, what would be involved?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Marc Carra, May 27, 2003.

1. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I've been toying with the idea of building a DIY rear projection DLP. If I was to take an old 55" 4:3 RPTV and gut it, could I build the projector into it and display an image this small? Would there be enough throw distance to work? At that size the 800x600 image would be incredibly sharp and bright if it did work. Any ideas????

Marc.

2. MikeTC

MikeTC Stunt Coordinator

It wouldn't work unless the RPTV cabinet is huge. Your problem would be creating the throw distance within the RPTV. You need a distance of 7' for a 55" projection. It would be easier to use a small closet/room behind the screen.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you had a dark room behind the main room, there would be advantages to doing RPTV. Problem is most of us don't have the space to spare

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

You need to determine the minimum throw distance for the screen size you're looking at. The cabinet you have should have the first-surface mirror, which is half the battle in building what you want since it will slice the required throw distance in half. I would probably design some sort of ventilation for the X1.