Converting a Powered Sub to a Passive Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scooter, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Here's why:

I had bought 2 Altec Lansing 12" 50 watt subs a coupla years ago, one of which died. Since then they have gotten out of the HT/Audio biz and now only manufacture for PC's. The Pro Line, although using the AL name, is actually made by someone else. So..the long and short is although under warranty...no one can fix this, so they gave me 99% of my money back from the purchase.

The power went belly up in this, speaaker is fine and I do have a need in The Lobby/Green Room for a passive sub..so...

What do I need?

Where do I crossover?

How do I wire and figure out ohms and all?

Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Le` Bump!

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

If you've got a Dolby Digital 5.1 (or better) receiver then it has the crossover you need built into its bass management features. If you don't have a 5.1 receiver then get one. The only other thing you'll need is an amplifier. Connect the subwoofer output from your 5.1 receiver to some external amplifier and then run the amplifier output directly to the driver in the subwoofer. You'll want to disconnect the old amp's connection to the driver (inside the subwoofer enclosure), of course, so that you aren't connecting the outputs of two amplifiers.

You might also want to be aware that some commercial subwoofers are designed into a box that's smaller than optimal. Then a circuit is used to boost the power output lower frequencies to compensate for the small box. If this was the case with your sub, then your new amplifier will not compensate. But you could use an equalizer in-line between your 5.1 receiver and the new subwoofer amplifier to flatten the freq response.

4. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Actually this is for an older DPL that does NOT have a SubWoof output. I only use it for music. For my 5.1 setups I have powered subs, et al. So I need to convert this thing to passive for the front speakers.

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Filling post with helium one last time.

6. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Ok..went to the Rat Shack for a crossover..but they don't have what I need. So..any good online speaker parts dealers?

7. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator