What's new

Converting 6.1 speaker configuration to 7.1? Can it be done properly? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I myself have heard a rear center channel ala 6.1, and I noticed that if I didn't turn my head around, I really couldn't figure out that the sound was coming directly behind me. It varied and was not consistent. I understand that rear surround speakers ala 7.1 are a better way to present a rear center channel. Here is my question:
If you had a 6.1 receiver which had 6 amplifier channels, including the rear-center/back-surrounds, could you somehow use 2 speakers instead of the one speaker for the rear center?
Here is how I would propose to do it;
1)OK, first and most effective way would be to take the rear center or rear surround pre-out and connect it using a Y-cable to a stereo amp or a pair of mono amps and then connect your 2 speakers accordingly. This of course requires external amplification.
2) Wire 2 speakers to the one channel. If you have 8 ohm speakers, you could try running parallel. If you had 6 or 4 ohm speakers, you could try running in series?
Is # 2 a bad idea? Too risky depending on the receiver? Has anyone done either of the above?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I think #2 is okay if you have a reciever that could handle the load. Its how Id do it if I had a high-powered amp that is just 6 channels.
If you go with #1 (which will probably be better), and get a 6 channel amp taht is pretty decent, Id just hook it up via #2.
------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks