What's new

Converting 5.1 analog to DTS bitstream (1 Viewer)

David Weinberg

Auditioning
I seek a box that will take the six analog outputs from a DVD-Audio or SACD player and convert it to a 20-bit/48ksps bitstream to feed into my Lexicon DC-2. I am well aware that this will allegedly compromise the sound quality of the source, but this will meet my needs and prevent my having to spend even more money upgrading the processor. Thanks. DJW.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Why not consider a 5.1 analog preamp such as the Sony TA-P9000ES. This pure analog pre-amp was designed by Sony specifically for people in your situation (such as owners of its own TA-E9000ES pre-pro). It goes between your current 5.1 pre-pro and your amplifiers.

See Oade Bros. (nice pictures of front and back), Stereophile, or Sony.

David Weinberg

Auditioning
I appreciate your thought, but I have been quite specific regarding my requirements. An analog unit will not provide me a DTS bitstream output. DJW.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Do a Google search using the keywords "dts hardware encoder".
I found one result already. You will be able to find many more.

This is the one I found:
Hardware DTS Encoder

It doesn't take in RCA analog outputs, but it takes in AES/EBU (professional-style) analog inputs. It is not 100% to your specifications but we're at least heading in the right direction. I'm sure you can take it from here.

-JNS

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
It doesn't take in RCA analog outputs, but it takes in AES/EBU (professional-style) analog inputs
AES/EBU is a digital interface, not analog. It differs from S/PDIF only electrically: 110 ohm 5 Vpp balanced (differential) instead of 75 ohm 1 Vpp unbalanced (single-ended), XLR cables instead of RCA, etc. The bitstream itself is identical and compatible, though technically S/PDIF is a subset of AES/EBU.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
see but the problem is he's wanting to convert Analog to digital in on his Pre/Pro. The CAE4 which is used for producing DVD's is digital in and digital out no analog connections they'd be useless in a studio environemnt. I'd say that you're pretty much out of luck in this idea if it was cheaply possible the companys that produce SACD/DVD-A would have already put a legal stop to it. They made it an analog output for the simple reason of not being able to copy the material on the disc digitally. I'd say you're pretty much stuck with getting a new pre/pro or living without multichannel music.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
David, it would be cheaper to buy a new processor then trying to find an on the fly digital encoder.

What application are you trying to do this for, DVD-A or SACD? DVD-A already have backwards compatible DD and DTS tracks, so this would be unecessary, and every SACD has a Hi-res stereo track which can be passed through the analog outputs of a player an hooked up to any stereo input on your processor (i.e your current CD input). The only thing you would miss out on is Hi-res surround on DVD-A and SACD. You will still get low res DD and DTS surround on DVD-A of course.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks