Converting 4ohm speaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by HarryPluta, Feb 12, 2004.

1. HarryPluta

HarryPluta Auditioning

I am still trying to figure out a short term speaker system to marry to a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver. I have listened to a whole lot of speaker systems and at this point am leaning toward a Klipsch setup with a BIC sub-woofer.

However, this may take a while to fund, in the mean-time I was wondering.....

I have a set of Peavey Phase Reference Studio monitors (PRM 310S) and the matching Phase Reference center channel speaker (PRM225). These came out of my old R&R recording studio and are very clean and flat sounding. I would like to use them as the mains and center until I could build up a complete Klipsch system.

The main issue is that the PRM225 is a 4 ohm and the PRM310S's are 8 ohm. In the studio it wasn't a problem as they each ran on a seperate power amp, but here I want to drive them from the Yamaha.

Suggestions?

-Harry

2. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

I feel you will be just fine with a 4ohm center, the yamaha should keep up with it just fine.

3. John S

John S Producer

Yes, one 4ohm load on one channel, most likely will make no difference at all, as long as you calibrate.