Converted my very first mask, what do ya think?...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know that it's Christmas, but to me it's never out of season to spend a little time with Michael Myers.

Last year I bought a MM mask from a local costume shop, nothing fancy, paid $40.00 (high end MM masks go for $300.00 FYI), it was decent but was the wrong color (pale yellow-ish green?), had eyebrows, sideburns, the eye holes were far too small and the hair was, well, I don't know what was up with the hair but it was all wrong lol.

Having been inspired by the work done by fans over at Michael Myers.net I wanted to try my own conversion of this mask and bring to looking as close to the mask worn by Nick Castle in the first film and I think i've come close.

First off, here's what the mask looked like before I started (it's the only good pick of the mask that I have pre-conversion), here it is...

First thing I did was tear off the eyebrows and sideburns, I also receeded the hairline higher up on the ears leaving behind the trademark glueline that can be seen in the film. Next I had to open up the eye holes and reshape them, I used a combination exacto knife and a butter knife that I heated up over the fire on the stove to melt and shape the latex until the eyes were just the right size and shape.

Next step was to give the mask a haircut and restyle it, I used massive amounts of hair gel and a ton of hairspray to stiffen the hair as it was far too fine and floppy before, plus it was too long in the back and on the sides. Next it was time to repaint the mask and hair, this was tricky, I used flat white acrylic spray paint for the mask and flat dark brown for the hair, now, since the mask is latex it was important to use a paint that would produce minimal cracking, there was some but it isn't noticable and since the mask is now for display only it will rarely be touched, it can be worn, though.

I simply took it outside and hit it with a light coat followed a half hour later by another thin coat, some white did get into the hair but I wasn't concerned since i'd be painting that soon anyway. In fact it made the mask look rather funny because it looked as if Michael was getting some distinguished grey in his hair lol. Next was the hair, I masked off the hairline and ears with masking tape and covered the rest with an old t-shirt making sure that no latex was exposed, after that I simply hit the hair with two coats of dark brown, I also used streaks of black water color to give the hair some accent.

Now that the mask was cut, hair was restyled and it was painted the classic, and correct, Myers colors, it was time to add the shadings and highlights...this was the hardest part. I am fairly adept at painting models and figures but I never attempted a full-on airbrush style paintjob without airbrush equipment, I had no idea how I was going to blend the dark areas into the white without creating too many hard edges where you could tell the shading was drawn on, which essentially it was.

Finally I decided to try a combination of black water color and a plain ol' soft #2 pencil...I was very pleased at the results, together they worked extremely well IMO. I studied the mask in the first film very carefully making sure that I caught every detail that I could, I even added the little dot on the side of his neck where the latex flashed. I then blended the shading into the whiter parts of the mask with a dry paint brush.

The mask was finished at last, so then I moved onto the home made display stand, it's just a square piece of wood with about 6" of the top of an old broom nailed to it and painted flat black, the 'HALLOWEEN' sign I cut from one of my MM action figure boxes and the knife (yes it's a real knife) I bought from Walmart, making sure it was as close to his butcher knife as I could find without resorting to buying a film replica which can be pricey.

Anyhoo, that's it, here are the results of my hanywork, enjoy, BTW I chose the location for it deliberately because it was the best spot in the room where the light from the floor lamp created the spookiest shadows...

The mask may have been all wrong when I got it but it was taken from the old William Shatner mask mold and so the foundation was there to make it better, I merely tried my best to bring it out thats all.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Nice work on the mask. Looks like (pretty damn close to) the original now...

Nice Auto-9, btw. Is that a Gas Blowback airsoft? I have the Berretta M93r GBB airsoft machine pistol. The Auto-9 was modeled around it, your has the much longer, different styled front of course. If yall don't know what it looks like....if you've seen 'Broken Arrow' then its the pistol John Travolta is using on the train at the end.

That's exactly what mine looks like.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks for the compliments, guys, sorry it took me so long to respond but my computer got hit with a massive overload on Christmas day and it blew the power box in my hard drive, I just got it back from the repair shop today and it's fine now.

Yep, that is an airsoft auto-9, I got it on ebay last year.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashwagandhaplus