What's new

convert old records to CD's (1 Viewer)

Jimmmy D

Auditioning
I am looking to convert my old records onto Cd's. I have an New Harman Kardon 2 channel reciever and an old Record player.

I want just a stand alone unit that will record either through the Harman Kardon or alone with the record player.

My biggest question is that I want it to be able to break the songs up into different tracks as it records. Are there cd recorders out there that can do that? If so how much am I looking to pay for one?

Thanks for your time

James

John S

Senior HTF Member
The best easiest way to do this is to capture the music through your pc and use it to create / burn it to CD.

I hope some others chime in, because I haven't seen a CD recorder stand alone in a long time now.

jacob_A

Auditioning
The easiest way would be with your PC. Since you probably already have all the equipment necessary. (soundcard with stereo input - either RCA phono style or 1/8" jack with appropriate adaptor. and a reciever with phono pre-amp built-in.) With this set-up you can just tranfer the music, then with your preferrred software (Musicmatch has some basic capalities while I prefer the nero wave editor package that is included with NERO's burning software) you can just burn an AUDIO cd or MP-3 disc or if you have the time, you can also go in & do some minor to major audio restoration: pop & click removal, noise reduction, fade in/outs ect.
With a stand-alone recorder you are restricted in a lot a ways. I believe only music CDR's can be used (more expensive)with stand alones & no clean-up can be done unles the music tracks are tranfered to a PC

Jimmmy D

Auditioning
thanks everyone for the replies.

The biggest problem with using a computer is that I am trying to do this for my grandmother.
So I was looking for somethign she could use fairly easy and it would take care of all the tracks and noise by its self.

I guess I could always have her burn the cd's, send them to me then I could edit them and send them back. But thats just a lot of work.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm your thinking your Grandmother could successfully do this on her own? Maybe, always possible I suppose.

If she has a lot of stuff, contact some local sound production shops. I used to do this a lot for people in my recording studio. People would bring me their collection for digitizing.

A program like SAW / SAW LIte can work wonders at improving noise levels, eleiminating pops, and scratches. But is certainly beyond anything most people, except industry professionals would ever want or need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks