What's new

Conversations with Twilight Time's Nick Redman (UPDATED New Interview 9/8/13) (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Perhaps Twilight Time could investigate the possibility of releasing some forgotten concert films on blu-ray, like this one:

RenaldoAndClara-1978.jpg

RenaldoAndClara-1978-Italian.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jcroy said:
Some people just love to hear the sound of their own voice, both figuratively and literally. :)

Whether it is through yelling, screaming, pontificating, writing long diatribes, etc ...
In all the years I've been a part of this forum, every studio or company that releases video product has been the target of those that don't agree with how they release their product. It's the nature of internet forums for people to express their opinions. TT will continue to use their business model as long as it remains successful and I don't think some contrary views of it posted here or on any other internet forum will affect them one way or another.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
That's their licensing deal with Sony, Fox and MGM. No less and no more.
Well, that's interesting. Perhaps TT has partly their "hands tied", then. That would explain the lack of extras in some of the releases. Perhaps TT simply couldn't license the extras they wanted.Anyway, I bow out of for this thread. Let's enjoy movies.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Robert Crawford said:
I don't think some contrary views of it posted here or on any other internet forum will affect them one way or another.
I would imagine this is the case in general.

As I get older, I just accept that the vest majority of things I will have no influence or control over.

At most, I can probably just vent about something at the local watering hole and/or on internet message boards. (ie. An "academic" discussion). :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Jari K said:
Well, that's interesting. Perhaps TT has partly their "hands tied", then. That would explain the lack of extras in some of the releases. Perhaps TT simply couldn't license the extras they wanted.Anyway, I bow out of for this thread. Let's enjoy movies.
First they do port over a lot of the Sony extras and some Fox extras. They haven't released an MGM title yet so I can not comment on that. Second, don't bow out. Everyone's thoughts and opinions are good. Not everyone agrees with me, even though they should (I say with a smily face)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Jari K said:
Also, TT pays the entire licensing cost for all 3,000 units up-front - if they did do a larger run that is more $$$ upfront they would have to spend.If a title doesn't sell they take the loss entirely, the studio has their money either way.Criterion and others pay a royalty per film, which leads to accounting each quarter and other complexities. The beauty of the TT model for them and the studios is simplicity. In the past some studios had deals where any extras TT produced would be owned by the studio and not TT so it makes no sense for them to spend to produce things they won't own, and existing extras weren't always available to be licensed. This situation is fluid though, and with greater time and trust these things become easier to deal with.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ROclockCK said:
Just FYI: I used to post this running tally on another site Richard:

Blu-rays = 9. DVDs = 4 Total Count = 13

Note: The Egyptian sold out in both formats, although both the DVD of it and The Fury Blu-ray show as still available on TCM's site.
Thanks for the update. I had not realized that Body Double and The Fury had sold out (although as you noted TCM apparently still has some copies of The Fury in stock).

It bears repeating to the naysayers that licensing agreements are two-way streets. For whatever reasons, Sony is releasing very few catalog titles on BD these days. We got From Here to Eternity a few weeks ago, and that looks like it for the rest of 2013. But Twilight Time is bringing us four Sony titles in November and December: Oliver!, The Way We Were, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, and Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. The limited edition model for catalog titles obviously is making sense for both the studios and TT. Otherwise TT would be kaput by now.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Here's what's becoming a significant problem with TT -- Arrow has produced a new transfer from the negative that appears to level TT's completely from early reports. Dvd Beaver has reviewed it now too, but doesn't compare it to TT's disc. From now on, do we have to wonder if better, more affordable unlimited options will come to fruition whenever a new TT title announced? I know I'd be pissed off if I bought THE FURY right about now...

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Keith TT has released Bell, Book, and Candle. I have it and it looks fantastic!!! The other thing I wanted to make mention of is that Nick does come on the forum to answer questions and also on facebook. TT respects their customers and that I am sorry to say is sadly lacking in the world of today. I am really looking forward to 2014 and the increase of titles from TT!!!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
bgart13 said:
Here's what's becoming a significant problem with TT -- Arrow has produced a new transfer from the negative that appears to level TT's completely from early reports. Dvd Beaver has reviewed it now too, but doesn't compare it to TT's disc. From now on, do we have to wonder if better, more affordable unlimited options will come to fruition whenever a new TT title announced? I know I'd be pissed off if I bought THE FURY right about now...
But that's only applicable if you have a region free player. Many (including me) don't. And would it have been any different if the studio had released The Fury themselves here instead of TT? And then how many of TT's 60 titles has this happened with anyway?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Exactly John - the only reason I ever thought about going Region Free was Rock Hunter and the Fritz Lang films not on Criterion through MoC in the UK. Otherwise the TT Fury is all I need and a huge bump from the LD

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Personally, I find it a self-disservice to not have a region free player.Sure, just recently I finally bought a BD player. Since I got it...60% of my BD have been Ebay/Amazon UK.Bombay sells the LG 220(close enough if not the correct model) under $200. I got lucky and bought my Orei for $130(including the cost of having my first defective one back for an exchange).

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I use my BD player as much for Netflix and Hulu etc as I do for BD, and so I'd have to replace a perfectly good machine and find one that did those things too (I don't have room to add machines to my setup which is why I don't have an Apple TV yet for streaming).I also have plenty to watch without expanding my options to the world, and most irrationally, I dislike international packaging.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah. The even more ridiculous thing?Amazon US is $3.99 shipping. UK international is (after conversion, and today) $2.15.Today I placed an order on A/UK where 4 of the 7 discs are US sellers listed over there.Not only were the movies listed both places (same sellers), they were less via A/UK.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
If Oppo made a region-free player, I'd get one. But space-wise, now, I'd have to unhook the Oppo player each time I wanted to watch a Region B (or whatever) disc and hook up the Oppo again each time I wanted to see an upscaled dvd. Too much trouble for too little benefit. And I haven't seen a player yet that upscales nearly as well as my Oppo 103 does, so I'm not about to give that up.

So I would just make do with the horribly inferior transfer of The Fury that TT put out. That is, if I liked the film, which I don't.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
JohnMor said:
If Oppo made a region-free player, I'd get one. But space-wise, now, I'd have to unhook the Oppo player each time I wanted to watch a Region B (or whatever) disc and hook up the Oppo again each time I wanted to see an upscaled dvd. Too much trouble for too little benefit. And I haven't seen a player yet that upscales nearly as well as my Oppo 103 does, so I'm not about to give that up.

So I would just make do with the horribly inferior transfer of The Fury that TT put out. That is, if I liked the film, which I don't.
Nobody "makes" a region-free BD player. Bombay sells hacked BD players. Hacked Oppo is $700, I think.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
schan1269 said:
Nobody "makes" a region-free BD player.
Yes, I realize that. I didn't think I had to put a smiley after that comment, but I guess I should have.

Although I am certainly more apt to look into a region-free player now than I was before blu (I detest PAL speed-up with a passion bordering on religious fervor), it's just way too far down on the list of priorities right now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, Oppo "made" region-free DVD players. So did Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, LG et al.

Many people assume that region-free BD acts the same way. It does not. There is no "non-code" like DVD(which would be region 0).

Just making sure others know that region-free BD requires a hack to allow on-the-go region changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks