What's new

Conversations with Twilight Time's Nick Redman (UPDATED New Interview 9/8/13) (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Richard Gallagher said:
Well, there are about 16,000 films listed in Maltin's 2014 guide and thousands more in his Classic Movie Guide, so I feel pretty confident that most films which aren't listed are by definition "obscure." Are you trying to make the case that Mindwarp is not an obscure film? I'm fairly certain that it never even had a theatrical release in the U.S
Theatrical release?

So every "straight to DVD" movie is obscure?

I'll make the case that a movie is more obscure than its "non-inclusion" in the CMG if...

1. It isn't on Netflix...stream or DVD.
2. Not on Amazon VOD
3. Not on Hulu/Vudu or any other streaming site you can think of.

Illegally on Youtube or as a torrent doesn't count.

Edit:
Nevermind on the Youtube/torrent. I know of at least 10 movies that I can't find anywhere. Not even VHS. And these movies are newer than 1980.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
"Ripley's Game" with John Malkovich never had a theatrical US release, although it was released theatrically in parts of Europe.
Malkovich is in fine form. 95% positive reviews at Rotten Tomatoes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Death Race III

So by definition, Death Race III is more obscure than Sautet's Garcon!...
You don't think Death Race III isn't a obscure title that only the Death Race film buffs know about it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sure it is obscure. So is Garcon!.

Garcon! has had numerous theatrical showings(wide European release). You can't buy Garcon! (well you can, for $70+ for the non-subtitled version) or stream it. I haven't even found a Youtube post or torrent for it.

Pretty sure neither one is in the CMG.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Sure it is obscure. So is Garcon!.

Garcon! has had numerous theatrical showings(wide European release). You can't buy Garcon! (well you can, for $70+ for the non-subtitled version) or stream it. I haven't even found a Youtube post or torrent for it.

Pretty sure neither one is in the CMG.
If they're both obscure, what are we discussing then?????

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
If they're both obscure, what are we discussing then?????
The issue/problem is in how a movie was judged as "obscure".

Not having a theatrical release(does SXSW or Locarno count as released theatrically?) and its non-inclusion in CMG.

If "festivals" don't count as released, there are thousands of movies a year that are "obscure"...until they aren't(the latest Keanu movie or All the Boys Love Mandy Lane).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
The issue/problem is in how a movie was judged as "obscure".

Not having a theatrical release(does SXSW or Locarno count as released theatrically?) and its non-inclusion in CMG.

If "festivals" don't count as released, there are thousands of movies a year that are "obscure"...until they aren't(the latest Keanu movie or All the Boys Love Mandy Lane).
Then we need to take this to another thread as I don't want this thread sidetracked with such a discussion.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
bugsy-pal said:
I feel that the Dinman audio interview was a bit mean-spirited in itself, in the way that it scoffed at some of the criticism that has arisen from the anonymous forum people (like me), many of whom are, after all, their customers. I feel that there would have been more dignity in leaving that alone and not being so defensive.
Robert Crawford said:
In fairness, it was mean-spirited in attacking the writer of the article, Digital Bits and attacking those of us critical of their business model.er sites as I don't frequent those other sites like I used to in prior years.
While I found Dinman WAY over the top, I think there's a pretentiousness in the article and writer that needed to be skewered a bit. Plus, if you can dish it out, you need to be able to take it.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
schan1269 said:
Theatrical release?

So every "straight to DVD" movie is obscure?
No, but Mindwarp was a straight to VHS movie and is, in my book, pretty obscure. Has Mindwarp ever been released on DVD, anywhere?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JohnMor said:
While I found Dinman WAY over the top, I think there's a pretentiousness in the article and writer that needed to be skewered a bit. Plus, if you can dish it out, you need to be able to take it.
I noted my problems with the article, but after I listened to the entire interview by Dinman, I thought they crossed the line too. Neither side of this argument looks good to me as both made some nasty comments in my opinion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Richard Gallagher said:
No, but Mindwarp was a straight to VHS movie and is, in my book, pretty obscure. Has Mindwarp ever been released on DVD, anywhere?
My comment wasn't Mindwarp....it was how "obscurity" was defined.

TT and Criterion, in my book, are not obscure labels. Strand, Tartan and the like are.

If TT ever releases a movie by...

Sautet
Brissau
Moodysson
Vosloo
Sean Baker

Then we can talk obscure.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
schan1269 said:
Nobody is suggesting that obscurity is necessarily a permanent state. A rediscovered film may well rise from obscurity, It could happen to Mindwarp. But that doesn't change the fact that currently it is a film which very few people know about.

The relevant point is that it was stated that Twilight Time has deviated from its original model, presumably because it has released some popular, household-name films. My contention is that the release of films such as Mindwarp and The Disappearance contradicts that claim.

If you want to make a case that Mindwarp is not an obscure film, go ahead and make it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again, Mindwarp in itself, was not what I was referring.I was referring to the defining of obscure. Alluding to a movie not in CMG as obscure is disingenuous. And partakes in the thinking "everything not Hollywood" is obscure. How much of CMG is Asian/Australian?Cause if you included just the idea of non-Hollywood, then Howard Hughes movies are obscure.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
schan1269 said:
My comment wasn't Mindwarp....it was how "obscurity" was defined.

TT and Criterion, in my book, are not obscure labels. Strand, Tartan and the like are.
I never made the case that TT is an obscure label. It is an eclectic label which has released a wide range of films in a variety of genres. Some titles are household names, some are not. I was responding to the criticism that TT has not been releasing obscure films, as if that were the company's raison d'être.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Eclectic...that I can agree on.Just this week(starting Sunday), I've already watched films by Brissau, Belvaux, Baker, Breillat and Moodysson. (I do "theme weeks". This week is director or lead actor/actress with a name starting "B")Breillat, in that group...is mainstream.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
schan1269 said:
Again, Mindwarp in itself, was not what I was referring.I was referring to the defining of obscure. Alluding to a movie not in CMG as obscure is disingenuous. And partakes in the thinking "everything not Hollywood" is obscure.Cause if you included just the idea if non-Hollywood, then Howard Hughes movies are obscure.
Just to clarify, I never suggested that the absence of a listing in Maltin's guide is the sole criterion. I also pointed out that Mindwarp never received a theatrical release and its only appearance on home video was a VHS tape. As far as I can determine, it was shown at a few overseas film festivals and was not released theatrically anywhere. rottentomatoes.com shows no reviews for it.

I also never, ever suggested that a film is obscure unless it is made by Hollywood.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I noted my problems with the article, but after I listened to the entire interview by Dinman, I thought they crossed the line too. Neither side of this argument looks good to me as both made some nasty comments in my opinion.
Indeed. "If you can't say something nice..."
Honestly, they could have debunked nearly everything in the article without resorting to cheap shots about the author of the article.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I so enjoyed the interview which Nick gave and I guess I should state it here. I am waiting for Drums Along The Mohawk as I write this. Nick takes the risk on many films for people like me who can remember a wonderful film as stated above. I support TT as much as i can from the movies I buy. I think their future looks very good and with advent of new studio product I am sure that future will be a bright one. I refuse to comment on what was said on the bits.

Keep up the good work Nick!! You shall always have me in your corner along with many others from my generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks