Convergence! Skip 9-Point? Go directly to 56-Point?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I'll be getting a 50H81 really soon and am planning out my first calibrations of the new set. [​IMG]
    I'm concerned about what to do about the convergence. I don't want to do a 9-point because I don't want to have to reset it later in ADDR mode. I thought about going ahead and doing a 56-point, but most info says to wait until after about six weeks of use as the sonvergence will drift.
    Should I just ignore any convergence adjustments for six weeks?
    What do I do?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Cameron, my advice is to the the 56-point first. You may have to touch it up in a few weeks, but doing an initally job next day is perfectly acceptable.
    The 9 point has a fixed range, say 0 to 80 (I'm not sure what it is exactly). So when you get the TV, they are set to 40 - the middle. If you move one of the crosshairs down 20 points, it's now at 20. If you then fix the convergence in the service menu, the centerpoint for that crosshair will be at 20 and you'll only have 20 points of movement left in one direction (60 in the other direction).
    This is really the only issue. It's no better or worse for the TV to do one over the other, or to do the 56-point first, then touch up with the 9-point.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

3. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Personally, I think the waiting a 100-hours thing is a bunch of crap. Nothing harmful will come from calibrating the minute you get it. But yes, convergence will drift. So what, go back in and correct it as it happens. You will get a lot of practice at doing it and will become a whiz at it. I can now converge the entire set in about 10 minutes whereas it took me about 45 minutes when I first got it. So, I say skip the 9-point and go straight to the 56-point.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

4. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I agree. Skip the 9 pt and go to the 56 pt. It may drift and you may have to go back in and do it more than once. But if your like me you will be in there more than once trying to get those lines as straight as possible.

5. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brianj,
    Your right that user or professional calibration can be done anytime. The 100hr reference however that folks use is for professional calibration. Mortality rate for electronics is high during the initial period of use, so the wait time is to help break in the equipment and see if it breaks. :0
    It wouldn't be good to have the tv calibrated and have it fail shortly thereafter: calibration would be wiped out by work done by service tech plus the money spent on the cal (minimum of $250). [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

6. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

The wait is also intended to allow the very steep initial phosphor aging to occur before grayscale is calibrated. The initial phosphor light output drops rapidly the first few hundred hours. This is normal and expected for a CRT display. If graycale is done during the steep portion of phosphor aging, the results will drift off target as the phosphor continues to age. If the grayscale is done when the process has already slowed, say after a few hundre hours of run time, the change over time of the phosophors will be slower. This means the costly professional calibration will hold true for a longer period of time. Eventually, even that will drift off as the electronics and phosphor ages so a periodic ISF touch up for grayscale is actually desirable.
    Until then, be sure to turn you contrast way way down from the factory "torch" settings to avoid burning the phosphors.
    The convergence can be done almost immediately provided you allow the set to warm up at least an hour prior to making any adjustments and are comfortable the set will survive the initial infant mortality period.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

7. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Yeah, I just happened to notice a bunch of people saying on various sites that you should not bother converging in the first 100-hours. Clearly, the rule has gotten a bit bastardized as its gone around the internet. Personally, there was no way I was not going to play around with the service menu and 56pt convergence the first TWO hours I owned it!
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...