Convergence On old 3 tube projector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JohnGryskiewicz, May 3, 2005.

1. JohnGryskiewicz

JohnGryskiewicz Auditioning

Ok I am a first time projector owner and have a what I think is a difficult question. I got this projector for free because it was old. It is a Zenith Pro 851x which from what I have seen on the internet I think it is also like a Runco 750. Anyways it is the old style projector with 3 color tubes. We mounted it and the picture was pretty good but my roommate and I decided to tweak the settings a little more to make the picture better and it worked initially but then we managed to screw it up pretty bad. All three pictures are quite a bit off of each other.

We obviously messed with the convergence including the skew and bow and pretty much everything else. If anybody has any tips or tricks to do this in a more simple way please respond. Our plan right now is to get the center tube image lined up and then adjust the other two to match. We have test patterns so we are going to try and do the adjustments using that. Any usefull tips would be appreciated. Thanks, John

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If the projector was free why not spring a couple hundered dollars for an ISF calibration? It'll give you the best possible picture possible.

3. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

seccond the isf it is 300-500 and it will look awsome just make sure your bulbs are in good shape they say a 3 tube is like driveing a performance auto they are the best.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

5. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

Try to find a dealer setup manual online. crtcinema.com is a good place to start. Follow the manual's instructions to the letter, and you'll be amazed at what this thing will do.