Convergence/Geometry/Focusing Challenge!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Shane_Hill, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Shane_Hill

Shane_Hill Auditioning

I have a 43" Analog Toshiba SDTV that I have been playing with for a while. The picture is 'OK', just wanna make it a little better.
    I know how to do a 56pt Convergence, and do it every so often.

1) I notice it is blurry on the Right side of the screen (both in the 56pt convergence and when viewing the TV), especially GREEN, I have tried the electronic focus, but, to no avail. Im a DIY'r so, what can I do to rememedy this?

2) When in convergence, I notice the Blue grid go all squiggly in the top left part of the screen. This makes it next to impossible to converge all 3 colors to one uniform line....any advice?

Would appreciate the feedback....

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Is the set under warranty or extended warranty? It sounds like you've got some internal problems (that green focus and blue instablility).

A Toshiba dealer with a good service department will have the TSB and know about updates.

BTW you haven't lived until you've started out convergence on a CTC-100 (that's the round tube 21 inch set from the 60s) and the early RP sets with analogue convergence (the user just gets a cross in the center of the screen!) that you need extension cables and schooling to know what color to start with and where and it varies with each mode.

But I think your problems show and underlying fault that may or may not be correctable--only Toshiba and their dealer network will know for sure.

John

3. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

It's unusual that green is unfocused on one side. That usually only happens with red or blue. The green CRT is in the center, so it is the same distance from each side, unlike red and blue.
    I'd try a mechanical focus. In case that doesn't work, I'll tell you about one set I calibrated. It just had the green CRT replaced under warranty by BB techs, but it looked terrible. One of the problems was very poor green focus at the top right and bottom left. I could get the focus great in the center, but those edges were terrible. I took off the lens, reseated it, and retightened it, and suddenly the problem disappeared. The tech had attatched the lens and tightened it when he replaced the CRT, but it was not seated properly.