Convergence Expert Needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo.M, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I need some serious help.

I entered the service menu of my 60-inch Philip analog RPTV and adjusted the red and blue convergence manually without any difficulty. For grins, I took a peek at the green geometry and noticed that the grid is headed off of the left edge of the screen. It looks like it needs to be "pulled" back to the right.

Is this a convergence issue or something else entirely? Either way, can I fix it myself?

Thanks,

AM

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Can anyone help?

--AM

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I am in no way, shape, or form an expert on this, but will simply pass along my recent experience.

I have a Pioneer 533. The picture appeared to be bowed slightly on the left side of the screen. What the service tech did was first bring up the green grid (in the service menu), and adjusted it to be relatively true.

He then brought up the red and blue, and matched what he did with the green. What I did notice was that, depending on the mode (Full, Natural Wide, Zoom. etc.) the grid may be shifted left or right; they were not always symmetrical.

When I questioned that, the tech said that it really was not a problem, and that as long as the grid was square, and all three CRTs were lined up, it was OK.

Perhaps that was a big steaming pile of BS, but I can say that with normal content, the set looks great, and nothing looks offset.

Good Luck.

Brian

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Brian:

Extremely helpful, thanks.

--AM

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> Perhaps that was a big steaming pile of BS..
    Being able to fix this is a matter of luck.
    We are dealing with horizontal/vertical position, picture size (overscan), geometric distortion, and convergence. Often it is not possible to get them all right at the same time in a consumer grade TV set. Also, two TV sets of the same make and model may be different in this regard.
    It helps if the TV set can remember separate groups of adjustments for each of 4:3 mode, wide mode, zoom mode, etc.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm