What's new

Convergence Drifting, Can I fix it? (1 Viewer)

Scott.Lacy

Grip
Howdy all,

I posted a couple of weeks ago because I bought a Panasonic 53wx52 on New Year's Day and it went nutty on me a month later. I called the store I bought it from and they brought me a new one the day before the Super Bowl. Now, I'm not sure that I didn't get scammed with this new one, as I noticed a chip in the wood and a couple of scratches on the side. I've dealt with this store before so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this happened during the delivery. It's not a big deal because they are very minor and not noticable to anyone but me. My first RPTV had a 'born-on' date of November 2002, whereas this one was manufactured in June of '02. So I'm not sure if this means anything. One issue that is driving me out of my mind is that the convergence on the new TV drifts almost daily. Not much, maybe 1/8 inch or so, if that much, but it's enough for me to notice and start tinkering with the convergence. I'm about ready to call the store up and get my money back to go with another brand at this point, but I was wondering if there was a way to fix the drifting problem. I ran the Avia Setup on it, and aside from this one issue I'm very happy with the set. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I read that during the first 100 hours or so, the convergence will remain slightly unsteady...

I have a brand new 47wx42, and it does the same thing

Check this site out:
http://www.panny.tv/

[quoted]

SHOULD CONVERGENCE CHANGE A LOT DURING FIRST 100 HOURS?

*****This is very normal, do not worry. In the first 100 hours of the set, there will be many changes in convergence, color, etc. Just keep playing with it though, as it is good practice. This is why an isf calibration is not recommended until at least 100 hours of break in. also, make sure you let the set warm up 30-60 mins. before adjusting anything. It takes this long to warm everything up to optimal running condition. If you adjust during this time, if you check it again in an hour it will already be off.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Convergence never really settles in. It always drifts as the TV ages. If you do not want any drift ... the only solution is to keep the TV turned off.

Usually recommended that people take a good look at convergence every couple of months or so. Touch up usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

Kinda like why your car never stops needing oil changes.

Regards

Scott.Lacy

Grip
I don't have a problem touching it up every other month or so, but noticable drifting on a daily basis shouldn't be happening, shoud it?

Scott

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

How much warm up time do you give the TV before making this determination?

Regards

Scott.Lacy

Grip
Michael,

Usually a couple hours or more. I get home around 5-6pm, and usually turn it on so my son can watch Barney, etc. Once he goes to bed around 7, my wife watches her shows on Tivo, and I usually get to relax and watch TV after 9. So I would say on average a good 2-3 hours of warm up.

Here's an example. I set the convergence on Friday night after it had been in use for a couple hours. I watched The Bourne Identity, went to bed. The TV was on most of the day Saturday and I didn't touch it. Again, it was on most of the day Sunday, and about 8pm I threw in Apollo 13. As the opening credits were rolling I saw that the red convergence was off by about 1/2 inch.

If it is because the TV is so new I can live with that. I just want to know if I should be trying to return it before it's too late.

Thanks
Scott

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I have not experienced this significant a drift even when the TV is breaking in.

I would contact the store and tell them you "might" have a problem ... give them a heads up. But you are willing to give the set a bit more time to see if it settles down rather than return it immediately ...

See what the store and Panasonic suggest.

Regards

Scott.Lacy

Grip
Ok, I did exactly what you recommended Michael. I called the store and told them about it. They called me back an hour or so later and told me that there have been increasing issues where the factory default convergence settings differ from what it should actually be, and that it's a fairly simple fix. He's going to have a tech come out to take a look at it if it doesn't go away all on it's own. I was wondering, are they feeding me a line of bull? I'm still too new at all of this to know the difference. If this is possible, is it something I could fix relatively easily on my own from the Service Menu, or should I wait for the Tech?

Thanks for all the advice,
Scott

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Let the techs have at it. Do not monday morning quarter back this. Play stupid ... if you try to be too helpful, may get yourself into trouble.

Jump through the hoops ... problems must be demonstrated in the user modes and not service modes.

Regards

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Scott,

It is important to note that there is a right way to converge a display and a wrong way. If it is done the wrong way the set will NEVER have a stable convergence.

It is imperative that you start in the center and work your way outward in a circular pattern. IOW, get the center, then do the horizontal and vertical center convergence and finally work your way outward to the corners. Hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.