What's new

Convergence and "grid" questions (1 Viewer)

Blair Lee

Agent
I recently bought the Monsters Inc. DVD (great movie and awesome picture BTW) and noticed that it came with some THX calibration chapters. Since I haven't purchased Avia yet, I figured I'd give the THX screens a shot.
During the "circle displayed in two nested rectangles" tests, I noticed that portions of the outer rectangle were NOT displayed on the screen. What is the name of this issue, and how can I fix it? Is this typically a service menu item?
During one of the final screens, the vertical lines of the grid are not perfectly straight. More specifically, the topmost portion of the lines bend to the left as they go up the screen. Again, what is the name of this issue and how can I fix it?
Finally, I noticed that the convergence was not perfect on the far right and left sides of the screen. The simple nine-point convergence (I have a Pan 53WX42) cannot fix this without interfering with the good convergence on the rest of the screen. Would the service mode 64-point convergence solve this problem?
If this is a question better asked in the "basics" forum, then please move this thread. I couldn't find much info from searching in either forum...but I don't know the correct terminology, so I'm probably not using the best keywords. :)

Ming Wang

Agent
the first problem sounds like overscan. you could change the vertical and horizontal sizes to lower overscan or you can see the outer box. it's in service menu.
second problem is geometry and third is convergence. both could be corrected by the 64-point (fine) convergence in service menu. it's time consuming and some people find it's not an easy job.
check http://panny.tv for instructions.

Blair Lee

Agent
Mike, thanks for your reply. Is there any way for a retailer to discover that I've accessed the service menu (assuming I didn't seriously F up the picture)? Circuit City's satisfaction guarantee is now extended through January 31, so I have some time to play with this thing and get it right. But should I decide to replace or upgrade it, I'd hate for my tweaks to get in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks