What's new

Convergeance scan rate dependant? (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Quick question for the display calibration gurus here. My display is a Mitsubishi WS65511 CRT RPTV. Is the convergeance depentant on the scan rate, and I have to set it seperately for 480i, 480p, and 1080i? Or, is it a "one-size-fits-all" type thing?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Yes the convergence on CRT sets can depend on the scan rate. The better sets have separate "memories" while the el-cheapo models need to have a single compromise convergence.

Actually most CRT HDTV's are "one speed", 1080i only with all source material so converted, so this is not a problem. There are some "two speed" models --1080i for HDTV and 960i for 480i/480p material -- where the above mentioned problem may occur.

Some CRT sets will sync. to anything within certain limits as detailed in the instructions. Each different scan rate achieved may or may not have a slightly different convergence setting needed. 480p and 1080i are actually close together while 720p is somewhat higher and 480i is much lower. A "multi-sync-ing" HDTV monitor might well have all analog electronics from the "digital TV broadcast" input jacks to the picture tube(s) while having some digital electronics (comb filter, de-interlacer) fof analog video sources.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks