contructiong a new home theatre...... projector question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Derek_P, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Derek_P

Derek_P Stunt Coordinator

hello, i am building a new home theatre in my basement... I do not have a projector yet but plan to in the next year or so.......

what cables do i need to run to where the projector will be?

s-video? rca? ...something special?

any input will be appreciated..

thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Run as large a conduit as you can manage to the area. For sure either a component run or a mini BNC (5 cable R,G,B,H & V), s-video, composite video. DVI cna be run in the future along the conduit if needed.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

And be sure to run a power outlet within 6 feet or so of where the projector will hang.

Also, as mentioned above, if you're not going to be getting a pj for a while, don't bother putting wires up there you're not going to use. Just run a conduit with some pull strings in it and run them when you get your pj. If you ran every cable that could be used, you'll most likely be wasting some money. Wait until you get your pj so you'll know exactly what you'll need.

4. Derek_P

Derek_P Stunt Coordinator

how far from the screen area should i make the plug and cables run too? doesn't have to be dead on...but an estimate.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

throw distance is usually around 1.3, 1.5x the screen width, something in that ballpark is a generally good area.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Actually, I think it would be more like 1.3 - 1.5 x screen diagonal measurement as a ballpark. Basically if you are looking at around 100" 16x9 then to have the cables emerge from the ceiling at about 13' would be a close estimate without knowing the specifics about the projector.