What's new

contructiong a new home theatre...... projector question (1 Viewer)

Derek_P

Stunt Coordinator
hello, i am building a new home theatre in my basement... I do not have a projector yet but plan to in the next year or so.......

what cables do i need to run to where the projector will be?

s-video? rca? ...something special?

any input will be appreciated..

thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Run as large a conduit as you can manage to the area. For sure either a component run or a mini BNC (5 cable R,G,B,H & V), s-video, composite video. DVI cna be run in the future along the conduit if needed.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
And be sure to run a power outlet within 6 feet or so of where the projector will hang.

Also, as mentioned above, if you're not going to be getting a pj for a while, don't bother putting wires up there you're not going to use. Just run a conduit with some pull strings in it and run them when you get your pj. If you ran every cable that could be used, you'll most likely be wasting some money. Wait until you get your pj so you'll know exactly what you'll need.

Derek_P

Stunt Coordinator
how far from the screen area should i make the plug and cables run too? doesn't have to be dead on...but an estimate.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
throw distance is usually around 1.3, 1.5x the screen width, something in that ballpark is a generally good area.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Actually, I think it would be more like 1.3 - 1.5 x screen diagonal measurement as a ballpark. Basically if you are looking at around 100" 16x9 then to have the cables emerge from the ceiling at about 13' would be a close estimate without knowing the specifics about the projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks