What's new

Controversial: Do we really need extras on The Simpsons - quicker releases, I say! (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Well, you can always get the R2 edition, which is out a month earlier, but bizarrely seems to be without at least two extras - the videos for Do the Bartman and Deep, Deep Trouble (we still get all the commentaries, though).

Personally, I could do without the commentaries. I haven't found them particularly funny or informative. What would be nice would be optional captions explaining movie/popular culture references. Quite a few of these are lost on us ignorant Brits, and I suspect that some references which referred to contemporary events when the episodes were first screened will be lost on many Americans as well by now.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
HD-DVD will NOT be around for another decade at least, So I really wouldn't worry about that. Fox has set 2 per year as their policy on season sets, and frankly if it were any more it'd bankrupt me and everyone else

I'll be lucky to buy 4 seasons of TNG this year, every other month is TOO fast unless they want to bring it down to 50$ a season(not happening). Right now I'm buying so much TV product it's not funny

Buffy

X-Files

MASH

Star Trek

Simpsons

Queer as Folk (US)

That right there means there are 1 or 2 sets EVERY MONTH for me. Until X-Files hits season 7, I'm not free of that,and it's a good thing QAF is only once a year

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
There are plenty of DVD box sets on my to buy list (TNG, Simpsons, Sopranos, etc....) so I can't bring myself to get upset over a delay. If The Simpsons aren't released in a timely manor then I'll just buy something else.

RayRho

Auditioning
As an obsessed Simpsons fan, I've got just about every episode recorded on tape (60+ cassettes). Hence, I can afford to wait for feature/commentary-loaded seasonal issues of the DVDs, but Fox really does need to crank them out faster. Now, what do I do with my VHS copies as the DVDs supercede them?

Craig_T

Second Unit
People were saying stuff like this when x-files first came out on DVD. well we are now up to season 5 with season 6 coming later this year.
Well if we were on the same release schedule as The X-files, we'd be talking about our new Season 2 Simpsons sets right now instead of wondering what the hold-up is. Also, they started releasing The X-Files earlier and there are less seasons. The X-Files releases also demonstrate that syndication issues are probably not a reason for the delay just like extras aren't. Getting these out in any sort of timely manner apparently just isn't a priority for Fox for whatever reason. I'm getting to the point of losing interest like other people in this thread. I'm no longer as excited about the Simpsons on DVD knowing that it's going to take 5 to 7 years just to get to some of my favorite episodes. By that time, I may have moved on to other things. And if seeing them in syndication was so great, I wouldn't care about these releases at all. All I ever see in syndication are the same 20 or 30 episodes all edited to shit anyway. And these "there's plenty of other stuff to buy" arguments doesn't help us that have no interest in buying those other shows.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Firstly I would say that comments about how many other series are being released are little more than thread farts. It doesn't matter how many other series there are - if you have to buy them all that's your problem. I will wait to buy the stuff I want, and in fact, probably save money because it will move into sale territory by the time I get there.
Also the Simpsons is not repeated 1400 times a day in this country. Unless you have extra-terristrial TV then you don't see it that often...
Dunno about you Theo, but I am buying the R2 "themed!" DVD releases as and when they come out (the first one, 'Film Festival' is out Monday and is £11.99 @ Play.com)...
Dan??? You're going to buy a PAL DVD???;) I will probably take a look at these themed ones too!:emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Theo,
;)
I've been known to give into PAL R2s on TV stuff, certainly, mostly cartoons (Dilbert, Futurama Dangermouse...etc). I wont be buying the Simpsons seasons in PAL, started NTSC so I shall continue this way, but given the themed sets wont hit the US and contain eps from more recent seasons...for £12 shipped, I'd buy em sure!
Simpsons Film Festival R2 contains:
Beyond Blunderdome -- The GENIUS episode where Homer sits in on a movie test screening. Season 11 I think. His opinions end up changing the outcome of Mel Gibson's re-make of Mr Smith goes to Washington as a more violent affair ("wow, with the digital sound you can really hear the blood fly!").
A Star is Burns -- God I love this episode. John Lovitz voices Jay Sherman from the short lived (but brilliant) cartoon The Critic and Springfiled has a film festival which Burns demands to win. It has some of the greatest damn moments, Burn's hiring a Mexican Spielberg to make his biopic that sees Burns in Ben Hur and E.T. So funny it's painful. "Listen Spielbergo, Schindler and I were like peas in a pod. We both owned factories, we both made shells for the Nazis but mine worked damn it!"
22 Short films about Springfield -- "Do you find something comical bout my apperance?" Absolutely great ep with Skinner and his steamed hams and the glorious Pulp Fiction spoof with Wiggum, Snake and Herman.
Itchy & Scratchy the movie" -- Another great episode we all know and love where Homer bans Bart from seeing the Itchy and Scratchy movie. "Itchy's a jerk"
There's also a Troy McClure featurette as a bonus. For £12 it seems pretty decent value for money though I wish the DVD themed disc would have one extra episode over the VHS versions. Missed opportunity for this Film themed disc to NOT included the Radioactive Man movie episode ("up and ADEM!")...
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks