Controversial: Do we really need extras on The Simpsons - quicker releases, I say!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Mar 29, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I am an addict when it comes to extras on DVDs, no doubt about it. I very very rarely buy a 'vanilla' release and only if it looks likely this is the way we'll always have to accept it.
    But The Simpsons...I mean their re-watch value is second only to Lucasfilm's output for me and I am really concerned at how slowly Fox is releasing the series, especially compared to Paramounts TNG release.
    Personally, if commentaries and so forth are holding these sets up I'd say we can lose them from now on. Okay, maybe the odd 'significant' episode [​IMG] but I just want to watch my Simpsons. A lot. Without the tape getting worn!!!
    I guess I'm probably in a big minority here. I just can't see what else should be holding the releases back. It's painful!!![​IMG]

2. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

With Paramount kicking into overdrive with the Star Trek releases, my wallet thanks Fox for taking it slowly. I'm buying Buffy, Angel, X-Files and Simpsons from Fox.
    Happy with the 2-a-year policy they have [​IMG]

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

It's not as if the sets go out of print a couple of weeks after release. Those who can't afford the sets in the first few weeks of release can always pick them up whenever it's most convenient.

I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice commentaries for a sped-up release schedule, but that doesn't appear to be the reason for the delays.

4. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

At the very least, I'd like to see 3 a year. BUT I also want commentaries for every episode.
    Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. [​IMG]

5. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

The thing that concerns me about the delay is the number of seasons involved. At two releases a year either a yet another new format could replace dvd (which I sort of doubt, at least not replace it with the same or better level of market penetration, but it could happen) or what may be more likely is that the big dvd bandwagon slows down and people quit buying sets like these in enough numbers to justify releasing the whole series.

6. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

7. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

paramount should slow down so us die hards can save some money or keep them all in print forever

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Ryan: First of all, Fox is releasing the series, not Paramount. Second, the point being addressed in this post is that Fox is taking an exceedingly long time to release the Simpsons set. If they were to "slow down" much more, we'd be seeing a set a year.

9. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

As has been said a number of times in a number of different threads on a number of different boards, if you need The Simpsons that desperately it airs about 1400 times per day in syndication. You can just tape it.

If I'm going to pay to watch it, I want commentaries on every episode, among other extras.

I think the fact that it is still so successful in syndication is the reason the sets are taking so long to come out. I would like to see them come out much more frequently, but certainly not at the expense of extras. If syndication rights is the main factor, then there is nothing we can do but wait.

10. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I have to second the claim that the commentaries are not holding up the sets. My best guess is that FOX wants to get money for the DVD sets while still enabling the show to make plenty of profits in syndication. The longer they drag out the releases, the percentage of seasons unreleased on DVD but airing in syndication stays high, and they still get money for the DVD seasons. At this rate, it will be a long time before all the seasons are out on DVD, and by then they can do it again in a new format.

11. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Luke, they commentaries for S2 were done a long time ago. Fox is taking the marketing strategy of a long delay between released, which is common with big ticket items like box sets. Hopefully Paramounts rapid release strategy will work and set a standard for future releases like this.

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

As insaine as it sounds being the obsessive Simpsons fan that I am, as far as the DVDs are concerned I've sort of given up caring, frankly. I don't ever believe we'll have every season on DVD (as we know the format today), not at the rate they're being released at anyway.

As said above, you can't move for Simpsons re-runs on TV. I think it's right for the first two seasons to feature a good deal of supplements... any subsequent release I'd be happy just having the episodes with featurettes and other little tid bits.

Dunno about you Theo, but I am buying the R2 "themed!" DVD releases as and when they come out (the first one, 'Film Festival' is out Monday and is £11.99 @ Play.com)...

Dan

13. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I'm not sure what the delay is, but my standard desire is that the DVDs be done right, rather than rushed out the door

14. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

When Dan first shared his ideas on how the releases may never get out (at least the whole series), I was shocked. However, this delay on S2 and what I've been reading on the net I kinda wished I didn't buy S1. Doesn't look like we'll get to the 'good stuff' - at least not before I get old [​IMG].

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

It shouldn't be a shock, Jehan. I mean, at the rate of one box set a year, and the fact that they're still making new season after new season it's kind of foolish to think we'll end up with every season on DVD before HD-DVD appears in 5-7 years time.

Dan

16. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

17. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Im also giving up the idea of collecting each season. In fact I'll probably sell season 1 also. I loved the idea of owning the entire Simpsons catalog, but with this schedule...forget it! FOX just lost my money!

18. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

People were saying stuff like this when x-files first came out on DVD. well we are now up to season 5 with season 6 coming later this year.

Capt

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I've every intention to keep on buying each season they get round to releasing, all I meant was the knowledge of knowing we'll never get them all (especially at the rate of one a year) just doesn't thrill me at all and I've just given up caring when we get them.

Dan

20. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

As a card carrying Simpsons freak, here's what I'd like to see:

Commentaries on at least the 1st 5 seasons, beyond that I could live without them. After season 5 comes out, ramp up the releases to 3 (maybe even 4) seasons a year with minor extras. I mean, really how much substantive extra material could there be for each and every season? That said, I would really like to see an exhaustive feature-length documentary about the whole series instead of the woefully brief docu clips we've seen so far.

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly welcome commentaries on all the seasons from now until "the show is no longer profitable", but I'd imagine the principals don't have much interest in commenting on every single episode. I'd guess they will have a lot more to say about the show during its most fertile period (roughly seasons 2-6 imho), though I am not of the mind that the show has "lost it" these days-there are some great episodes and some bad ones. As opposed to the old days when it was just nearly-unrelenting genius every damn week.

And why would syndication (especially of these older seasons) necessarily be any less profitable after the DVD's release? I know dozens of people who will never be quite ravenous enough to collect The Compleat Simpsons on DVD if and when it ever comes--but they'll gladly watch it on TV in reruns. I don't see that changing if Fox picks up the DVD pace a bit. I hope they do.

Yes, every DVD release is picked apart and over-analyzed, so I would like to say that Season 1 was a great release (except the missing "play all" feature), and I'm sure Fox will do the rest of the series right. Season 2 looks even more superb than season 1. The MSRP for these is much lower than I ever thought we'd see, so it is hard to complain about much. But come on, more than 2 a year, please!