Controls in RE remake for Gamecube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_E, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

Currently, I'm deciding between Eternal Darkness and RE remake for my second game after Metroid Prime. I played RE Code Veronica for the Dreamcast a long time ago and absolutely hated the controls to the point of red faced anger. Now, RE remake looks absolutely stunning. I'm curious as to whether I should give it a shot. Is the control in it the same? I'm really leaning towards Eternal Darkness. RE looks wonderful, but I just don't know if I could get over the tank like control.

2. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i think it's the same control scheme. still worth picking up in my opinion.

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I didn't have even the slightest problem with the controls in the RE remake, and I used control A, which I later found was supposedly the more awkward of the 3 control schemes available.

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I've never had a problem with the RE controls but then again I've been playing the series since the original RE on the PS1. The remake contrains a third control scheme that many prefer(press R to walk, press it in fully to run, turn left and right with left and right on the control stick). Personally I stick with the first scheme but that's just me. It's too bad they removed type C from RE 0 as I know many found it to be the only usable control for the remake. Still though, one of my friends who'd never played a RE game was able to pick up the controls in a few minutes using the "classic" RE controls.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Scott, if the controls in Veronica bothered you that much, don't even give a second thought to the remake. The control scheme is exactly the same.

-Dave

6. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

The controls are the same. Personally, if it were me, I would pick up Eternal Darkness before RE anyway. Much better game, IMHO.

-Dean-

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Eternal Darkness is a very good game indeed. I picked up that and didn't bother with RE...

8. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Control Scheme C is great, obviously in my opinion for RE. ED on the other hand was a dissapointment for me, I thought the graphics lacked so damn much.

My vote for RE.

9. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

Thats Strange Bert. Everyone else says ED looks absolutely wonderful. How did you think the graphics lacked? In what area?

10. Dave Bennett

Scott E,
    I'll agree with Bert. Eternal Darkness was a big let down for me. Story wise it was pretty good, but the gameplay was EXTREMELY repetitive, not at all challenging, and extremely linear. Graphically, it was ok but you can tell it began it's life as an N64 title. For a while I wasn't even sure if I was going to finish it but I pushed through and did and then promptly sold it. RE on the other hand(and to a lesser extenet RE 0) I love to death. I played the remake through about 5 times and will play through it again in the future for sure. It seems there's a pretty strong dichotomy, people either love ED and hate RE or vice versa. Either way, good luck with what you choose!

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Hehe, I disliked them both. [​IMG] (and those 2 games were the reason I bought a GC!)
    -Dave

12. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

The controls in RE still blow as much as they always have.

Eternal Darkness plays and controls much much better, but it's also not as scary.

13. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

but the gameplay was EXTREMELY repetitive
    Not my intention to start a contest between the two games (I own both of them, btw, and like them both), but how is RE not repetitive? Collecting keys, scouring for item space, backtracking endlessly just to get the item chest you need to pick up the item on the other end of the house. Avoid zombies, look for clues, solve puzzle, avoid zombies, ad nauseum. It doesn't really change.
    I have no problem with the control scheme in RE.. it fits the mood of the game, is supposed to cause alarm and frustration. My problem is with the item system (if I have to see "You have no space left in your inventory" one more time I swear I'm gonna scream"). Apparently Resident Evil Zero attempted to address these problems by allowing you to drop items anywhere, but of course, that opens a whole new can of worms. It's like each area is a self contained 'item chest' and you have to go searching through each one for an item you dropped earlier in the game. [​IMG]
    The item management system in ED is IMO superior. As for the game itself, your mileage may vary.
    My two cents (and my opionion of course).
    ~j

14. Dave Bennett

I'm not implying that RE wasn't itself repetitive. All video games are by nature repetitive. However in ED I hated having to revisit the same areas during different time periods
    it took away from the "epic" that the game tried to be. I dunno though, I was really looking forward to ED and it ended up being the biggest disappointment for me of the year(with Mario sunshine a close second).

15. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I liked how ED's much hyped "60 hours of gameplay" turned into something like 15 hours, half of which is spent in areas you've already visited.

My fiance beat it in 7 hours the third time through....lets just say the "super secret ultra ending" wasn't worth the 2 extra playthroughs.