What's new

controlling the receiver from 2nd room ... (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
My dealer says it would cost at least $100 or more, but I have to believe there is a simpler solution. Yet I can't find an article or a site to explain how to do this clearly. All I want to do is set up my AVR so I can use a second remote to also control it from a second room, along with the CD player and perhaps even the satellite TV. Any recommendations on solutions or good sources to explain how to set such a system up by myself?

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

It's been a while since I purchase the IR to RF transmitter cones/units I use to do this, but I believe I bought them from either Radio Shack or BB? Real simple, set the receiving cone where it can be "seen" by the AVR and the transmitting cone/unit in the room(zone 2) where you want to control from and you should be set!

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Alan, I've looked at Powermid as a solution, but I am trying to figure out how to control the devices related to the receiver. I assume the remote control for the second zone, while able to control the functions of the AVR with the help of Powermid, would not be able to control the DVD or CD or TV. I don't want to get separate powermids for all those devices. Do you know if the I could control those other devices by hooking up the IR output on the AVR to the IR input jack on the DVD, and then daisy-chaining from the IR output jack on the DVD to the other devices?

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I'm not familiar with Powermid, but the method I'm using is having another universal remote in zone2 programmed for the other components with the IR converted to RF by the cones/units then re-converted at the receiving end and transmitting the IR to whatever component I have the zone2 remote set to control.

I'll take a look at home tonight and see what brand these are and let you know.

Alan

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
So the device you are using is not plugged into your receiver, I take it. Thus, it controls all your HT devices so long as the second zone remote is configured to control each one?

Is that right? If so, sounds like an idea worth trying. I'll pop over to Radio Shack tonight to see what they have.

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

BINGO, I have a dedicated HT Theater room in the basement and use the IR/RF converter-transmitter upstairs and it works great!

Good luck, let me know if it works out for you.

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks