Controlling Satellite Receiver Hardware

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_S, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Jon_S

Jon_S Extra

In reference to a post I have in the building home theater section for a whole system, I am wondering if there is good hardware to control Satellite Receivers that are a pretty large distance away (from 9 TV areas over 3 floors). I'm really looking for a wireless system because of the difficulty of handling transmission and IR noise from all the repeaters.
    Is there an RF Remote system that's powerful enough to do this? It would really be great if there were a satellite receiver that had the ability to have this remote added to it (i.e. not converting IR to RF and then back again)
    Thanks a lot.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Jon,
    Check this out at Onecall. Its an RCA DirecTV receiver and dish that comes with a UHF remote. You should be able to get this locally as well.
    http://www.onecall.com/PID_8326.htm
    Patrick
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection

3. Jon_S

Jon_S Extra

Thanks a lot for the info. I don't assume that there is a DirecTV/TiVo or UltimateTV version of this. Do you (or someone else) have an idea as to the range on one of these units (working across 3 floors in a house)? Is there any way to use two of these in the same space and control each independently?

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

The DISH PVR Model 501 is a UHF controlled unit. I don't use the long distance features but they caution you that you might have to change the UHF transmission/reception channel for the remote if your neighbor(s) also have this receiver/recorder so as not to interfere with their operation so I would imagine that it has quite a range.
    I also use a DISH 6000 (HDTV) receiver w/UHF remote in the same room as the 501 and I've set them up not to interfere with each other.
    Works like a charm.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

5. Jon_S

Jon_S Extra

RAF, Great! So, do you use these on multiple TVs? If so, what method to hook them together do you use? Connecting a couple that are close together seems easy, but beyond that it seems more difficult. Thanks again