What's new

Controlling AV receiver volume via the TV remote (1 Viewer)

Gordon Clarkson

Auditioning
Hi,

Am hoping someone can inform the proper connection to control the volume of my AV receiver via the TV remote. Although the TV remote has learned the receiver as far as power on/off using the assigned button, alas no volume control from the TV remote.

My setup:
Sci. Atl HDTV converter
Hitachi 51S700
Onkyo HT-R510
Onkyo DV-SP301

Component out (plus analog) of converter to Input 1 of 51S700
Component out of DVD to Input 2 of 51S700 and digital coax to DV-SP301
Analog out of Input 3 of 51S700 to video 1 of HT-R510

My intent is to input the converter and DVD video directly to the TV and utilize the HT-R510 for surround.

Although the 51S700 has a optical out jack, as well as the converter having a coax out, I don't know how to utilize them.

Any insight appreciated.

Gordon

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
On my RCA remote there is a separate procedure I need to program into the remote to process the volume control. This is done AFTER the receiver code is entered into the remote. This procedure allows the use of the TV remote to control the volume when using a component like a DVD plauyer; I think this is called audio "Punch through" on my particular TV. Check your documentation and it should have a procedure to do this. If not, then your TV does not support this feature.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i didn't think tv remotes had a punch-through feature, but that would be awesome if it did. like chuck said, check to see if yours applies.

also, do you know if your tv has a fixed/variable output? if so, set it to variable. now, whenever you raise/lower the volume on the tv, it will "adjust" the signal coming out of the audio-out from your tv.

other then that, i guess you could always buy an inexpensive univeral remote - that should solve all your issues! :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Mine definately does. The instructions on how to configure the "punch through" feature are in the manual for the TV.

Gordon Clarkson

Auditioning
My TV does have a varible out but where does it connect to on the receiver?...if at all? What are the advantages of routing component out connections (DVD, HDTV box etc) to the receiver first then to the TV? If I can utilize digital audio outs on the DVD player and the HDTV box, are analog (R/L) connections required? Where does the optical digital output on my TV come into play?

In a nutshell, I want to understand how , but more so, getting it right and not having to constantly fool with it.

Thanks,
Gordon

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the variable output is tied to the same output you are currently using - it effects *all* audio out from your tv. you don't have to change any physical connections - just the setting on your tv. do it and you'll see how it works.

regarding routing, read the beginner's faq - there's a great article in there (written by me :) ) on the pros-n-cons of routing wires through the receiver. in a nutshell i say go for routing everything through the receiver - it's much easier!

if you utilize the digital outputs, then you do not need the analog (r/l) connections.

again, be sure to read the faq - there's a TON of good info in there. i think it will help clear up a lot of stuff!

otherwise, ask away! :)

Gordon Clarkson

Auditioning
No variable setting anywhere in the audio menu...however, there are physical analog audio outs which, according to the manual, can connect to the receiver...it just doesn't show where. I'm wondering if the optical digital output connected to the optical input on the receiver will provide a variable volume adjustmemt using the TV remote?

Gordon

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Do you mean a digital output from the TV to the receiver? Using the analog outputs from the TV to the receiver will allow you to use the receiver to adjust volume, just turn off the TV speakers and you are good to go. The only way you can get the TV remote to control the volume on the TV via the receiver is to use the TVs "punch through" feature if it has one, this will control the volume adjustment on the receiver itself.

Gordon Clarkson

Auditioning
"Do you mean a digital output from the TV to the receiver? Using the analog outputs from the TV to the receiver will allow you to use the receiver to adjust volume, just turn off the TV speakers and you are good to go. The only way you can get the TV remote to control the volume on the TV via the receiver is to use the TVs "punch through" feature if it has one, this will control the volume adjustment on the receiver itself."

I do mean using the digital output from the TV to the receiver. I assume this would connect to the digital input to the receiver, and allow me to control the volume of whatever is being output thru the receiver on my TV remote? I also have a set of analog outputs (like you mention) from the TV labeled "monitor out" but do not understand where they connect in on my receiver.

I know I'm close...and thanks for the advice.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
No, it doesn't work that way. The digital output from your TV to the digital input on the receiver is just a digital sound signal going from the TV to the receiver, in which case, the receiver handles the volume output. It would be no different than connecting a digital out from your DVD player to the digital in on the receiver. What you want to do requires that you program, assuming it is programmable, your TVs remote to control the receiver. First you have to make sure that the TV remote will power up your receiver and accept commands from your TV remote. Then there is a procedure to program the TV remote's volume control; this is what is called volume "punch throught." My RCA HDTVs remote has detailed instructions on how to do this. Unfortunately, my TV remote is not compatible with my Sherwood receiver.:frowning: The jacks labeled "monitor out" can be connected to ANY of the analog sound jacks on the receiver. I have my TVs "monitor out" jacks connected to the "AUX" jacks on my receiver and it works quite well.

Kernel X

Grip
Your t.v. should have an Audio-to-HiFi analog connection. I have a Hitachi t.v. myself and it has one. Go in the menu and deselect internal speakers. Hook rca cables from the t.v. to an audio connection from the video input you are using for your t.v. Set your receiver's volume at a moderate volume and then raise the volume on your t.v. to adjust volume. Make sure you have your receiver set on the right input...good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks