Controling speaker volume?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave+, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Dave+

Dave+ Auditioning

My main speakers are very inefficient,and having problems matching the volume levels to my rear surround speakers.Even with the rear speakers set to -10 on my reciever,they are too loud compaired to the fronts.Is there a way to wire in a resistor or something to the rear speakers to knock there volume down a little?It does not need much,and does not need to be adjustable like a volume dial.Any help would be MUCH appreciated.I know it would be better to have all the speakers
    match up better,but I would like a work around for now.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

You can purchase an "L-pad" that will come with a knob that lets you adjust the volume of each individual driver in your speaker. This may involve getting your hands dirty though and opening the speaker box. Parts Express sells these.

I think you might have to do that anyways though if you wanted to adjust the attenuation level of say: 3 or 6db. Then you would look up "attenuation network" and would have to buy maybe 2 resistors and wire them into the crossover. You should probably look that up and you should find a calculator or chart. It's pretty simple but you want the SPL to drop, but not change the impedence or something like that which is why you use a simple "network".

I would recommend an easier method though.

Moving the surrounds furthur away from the listener will make them quieter. Aiming them against a wall will make the sound "less" direct and quiet them as well. You can actually aim a surround at a wall so that it will reflect off that wall and hit the listener.

If that's too loud, you could hang up a blanket on that wall so it won't reflect as much sound.

Another approach is to move the front speakers CLOSER to the listener since this will make them louder.

Distance has a pretty decent impact on how loud something is, as does the "angle" the speakers are pointed in some cases.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

What's the impedence rating of the fronts vs the rears? It's possible they're mismatched. (fronts are 8 Ohms.. the rears are 4 or 6 Ohms)

4. Nhoj

Nhoj Auditioning

Try a 20 ohm sandstone resistor in series with the rears. The amp won't care.

5. Jay Tee

Jay Tee Auditioning

Am I being oversimplistic in suggesting that within the receiver you set the front speakers at say +10 in an atempt to match them with the -10 of the rear speakers then control the overall volume with the receiver's volume control?

6. Dave+

Dave+ Auditioning

Thanks for all the suggestions,but I decided to just get another set of speakers for the front that are a little more efficient.On my receiver the fronts range is 0 to -10,I can
    't go to anything + on them.All my speakers are now rated at at 8 ohms now,but I still have to have the rears at -9,but at least they are within the range of my receiver.