What's new

Control with HDMI/ HDAVI Control (1 Viewer)

mcd278

Auditioning
Real Name
Jake McD
Good afternoon, all. I have a 50" Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma HDTV and a Panasonic SC-HT740 HTiB (1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater in Box). HDMI cables connect the digital cable box to the TV and the TV to the 5-disc home theater receiver. Per the operating manual, which I could very well be misinterpreting, stereo audio cable also connect the TV to the receiver. My problem is that I can't get sound from the TV to play through the home theater speakers.

I get sound through the home theater speakers when I play DVDs and CDs, so it seems the speakers are hooked up correctly. I've also turned the TV speakers both off and to their minimum level to see if which way sound was controlled but got nothing. I've been perusing the operating manuals for the TV and HTiB and it appears my issue could be that my TV does not recognize that the HTiB is connected. On page 23 of the operating manual it states that "'Home theater' with speaker icon appears" on the TV menu screen "when a Panasonic 'Control with HDMI' home theater system is connected via the HDMI input". As stated above, the system is connected via the HDMI input, and 'Control with HDMI" is set to 'On' in the TV menu. However, I do not get a 'Home theater' with speaker icon on the TV menu screen. Instead, I get the standard Picture/Audio/Timer/Lock, etc. menu. So I am at a loss. I should note that the home theater receiver- perhaps obviously- also does not recognize that the TV is connected. I do not get a 'TV' when option when pressing the 'AUX' button.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,

Jake

mcd278

Auditioning
Real Name
Jake McD
Quick update: I was able to connect the digital cable box directly to the home theater and get sound. Not sure that this is the optimal arrangement, but I do have sound. At any rate, I would appreciate any other suggestions to maximize the usefulness- if any- of the HTiB/HDMI connection. Thanks again.

manishj15

Auditioning
Real Name
Manish
I'm trying to do a similar thing with the Panasonic sc-ht940. im new to this by the way. from what i see, my cable box only has a dvi output which from what i know, does not carry sound. and the panasonic 940 and i think 740 only has 1 hdmi output and no hdmi inputs. so there is no sound from the cable box to the home theater system other than analog sound. i think that is the reason you dont get sound out from the tv. if you figure it out please let me know, cause if it only possible to get surround from the dvd and not from regular tv, it seems to be pointless.

MtkaMbr

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Eisenberg
This is based on newer equipment so may not be directly applicable to the OP, but for future users, connect the cable or sat box to HDMI AV-IN on the HTS and then from HDMI AV-OUT on the HTS to the HDMI input 1 on the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks