Control Problem with JVC Receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Doug MacGregor, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Doug MacGregor

Doug MacGregor Stunt Coordinator

Nov 23, 2002
    A while ago my JVC RX-6010VBK HT receiver started having problems with the front buttons...all of them.
    First of all it's not a problem since it's still under warranty so I'll be taking it in, but I just want to understand what's happening.
    Every time I push any of the buttons on the font of the receiver, the front display goes nuts, jumping all over the place.
    Even turning the power on and off cycles very quickly with multiple clicks (so I don't use it not wanting to destroy it).
    I have to hit the desired button(s) multiple times to get the right selection.
    The remote works perfectly.
    The store I bought it from (Bleeker Stereo & TV here in Ottawa) says it's probably a Ground Fault on the Main Board.
    It started happening about 9 months after I bought it.
    The receiver works perfectly otherwise.
    It's not much of a problem since I never touch the speaker setup anymore (I have it the way I want it) but if I hit, for instance, the headphone button, I get the speaker setup or when I hit the button for FM I get DVD!
    Good thing the remote works OK.
    Is this indeed a Ground Fault problem or something else?
    I have it plugged into a good surge protector and can't figure out why this started to happen.
  2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm not sure if it is a ground fault problem, but I am sure that JVC is notorious for this problem. I work in an electronics dept, and we currently have 2 JVC tv's that don't turn off unless you use the remote. They are the only TV's that are doing this right now too, so that's looking good for JVC. Last year we had 2 tabletop stereos whose volume buttons would work when they felt like it, instead of when we wanted them to.

I suggest you call up JVC and explain the situation to them, as they are probably quite used to this. They'll let you know if it's a ground fault problem. And do it in a hurry too to make sure it they have fixed the problem for good before the warranty expires. Good luck.