What's new

Control configuration in Halo (1 Viewer)

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
The Xbox launches in the UK tomorrow, so I'll probably be picking one up, along with Halo. One question for those that have played it, does it allow you to re-configure the controls, specifically the functions of the analogue sticks? I've never liked having 'mouselook' on the right stick, possibly something to do with being left handed. Does it let you swap them?

Gary King

Second Unit
You can't manually assign buttons; however, there are a variety of built-in control options.

Including a Southpaw configuration, which reverses the move and look sticks.

After you create a profile, you'll have to exit, and go into the menu options to switch configs.

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, I have experimented quite a bit with the controls, simply because at first nothing worked for me and I hated the game for it. I switched all controls to the "Southpaw" setting, and that seemed to work... probably because I have played Turok extensively on the N64 and this was the most similar setting to those controls. This puts the mouselook in your left hand as well as firing controls with your left trigger finger.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
OK, thanks for the info. As long as I can swap the sticks, I'll be happy. Not that it would have stopped me buying it. I was waiting for Halo to turn up on the PC, but that could still be some way off.

Any other must have titles for the Xbox?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Steve, other must-haves are hard to predict without knowing your tastes in games, but if you are a racing fan, either Gotham or Rallisport Challenge will certainly not disappoint. Jet Set Radio Future is my current fave, there's a big thread dedicated to it somewhere on this page.

Enjoy!

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
I like FPS games primarily, but I'll play most things apart from sports games or RPGs.

I was looking to pick up a racer, so of the two above, which do you prefer? Do either of them run in a frame?

I'm always more partial to a game that can run in a frame.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
If RallySport Challenge is available at launch GET IT!

Not much of a fan for racing games, but I can't stop playing this.

As far as FPS go, MAX PAYNE is bad ass. So many weapons for carnage. This game is awesome.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
Well I've got my Xbox now, along with Halo, Project Gotham, and DOA3. No advanced AV cables available anyway at the moment, so I'm stuck with composite and no DD5.1 for the time being. I even bought an optical cable, I just don't have anywhere to stick it.

Halo is nice, but the frame rate is a little choppy. Haven't played the others much, just a quick go on each.

I played the Max Payne demo on PC, but it did nothing for me. This Rallysport thing sounds pretty good though. Is it a proper rally, ie long courses, or a GT3 kind of rally?

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Steve,

If the Max Payne you played was the demo where you're in the alley, and there's a enemy dispense button, don't judge the game on that.

Rally Sport is all rally racing. Most of which is where you're alone on a 5K track. But so many different tracks there are.

You can race to your own music which makes this game a must have. I am addicted.

There are no licenses, and crashes are pretty weak compared to true Rally, but this is much different than GT3 indeed.

My buddy played it at my house. He drives a WRX, and plays GT3 constantly. He was impressed.

If you get it, tell me what you think.

Steve Deacon

Stunt Coordinator
I'll probably give that a try, once I've given the first three a good going over. I'm going to try and play these properly, as I found with my PS2 that I'd buy new games, play them a little, and never really finish them. Too much money, not enough time, just the opposite to when I was younger.

(Edit) That Max Payne demo was the one you described, but I did see the full version being played by someone else. I think the fact that it was 3rd person really put me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks