Control A/V Unit from Computer (via RS-232)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bill Bradstreet, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I've been doing some searching, but I haven't found a good answer yet.

My wife is visually impaired and finds it very easy to control our Audiotron via the web interface. I want to see if I can get our Outlaw 950 (which has an RS-232 port on it) set up with something similar. I'm thinking I'll put an old computer on the top of my A/V rack with a serial cable to connect to the 950.

The problem is, I haven't found any software that will let me interface with my 950.

For background, Crestron sells products to do this ... for $1,400 for the hardware and then you pay someone to do the programming. I'm hoping for a cheaper solution than this. [​IMG]

Any ideas would be helpful!

Thanks...

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Bill:

I would give the guys at Outlaw Audio a call and ask them what you can do with the RS-232 port and they have recommendations from other owners that have set up something similar.

Parker

3. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Parker. I have already posted on their forum as a suggestion for new products, but I haven't asked them that question... good idea.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

There has been quite a bit done with the RS232 protocol controlling sony receivers and megachangers, not sure if outlaw uses the same

Try Agoraquest for quite a bit of info and I put the link below that is for some SW developed for the DVD player

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic....12060&forum=50

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I don't know about the receivers, but the changers that have it state that it is "reserved for future use" - but that is a load.

Someone does have a professional unit so you can tie a changer into a PC, but it is pricey. Happy searching!

Oh, and let us know.

Glenn