Contrast ratio & ANSI

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Domonic A, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Domonic Ableidinger
    Is the contrast ratio and ANSI effect one another? I was hoping to find a projector with about 1500 lumens. I have come across a good deel on a Marantz that only has 700 lumens but has a 2600:1 contrast ratio.

Can someone tell me in short how each effects the picture? I know if you have a room with some ambient light you want the higher Lumens so the picture does not wash out correct? I think the contrast ratio relates to the visability of the screen door effect?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Oct 6, 1998
    Contrast ratio has nothing to do with Screen Door Effect (SDE). It is a measure of the amount of light hitting the screen for a pure white image versus a pure black image.

You are correct in noting that if you have a room with ambient light, you want a relatively high ANSI Lumens rating. Also note that Lumens output is related to image (screen) size. i.e. a bigger projected image needs more lumens to look good in a room with ambient light.
    Regardless of lumens, you probably want a contrast ratio of at least 800:1.

As a reference point, bear in mind that thed Sanyo PLV-70 (LCD PJ) puts out 2200 lumens at 900:1 CR ... pretty impressive, but then it costs $4400. The X1 puts out 1100 lumens at 2000:1 CR.