contrast question.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_H, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Yeah so I just got the Denon 1600 DVD player, and when I am watching 4:3 stuff my TV locks into FULL mode (Panasonic 53wx42), I just replaced the Pioneer dv-45a with the Denon and my Pioneer didn't force the TV to lock into FULL. My question is, the only way I can not have the TV lock into FULL is if I turn off the progressive feed and send an interlaced one.......Well, the picture is so dark, the only way to see it is to increase the contrast from about 20 to about 45. Since it really isn't emitting a brighter light than it did before, I was wondering if it was bad to have the contrast this high occasionally. Although it technically is brighter as far as number wise, the picture doesn't look any brighter.........I hope this makes sense. Anyone care to comment on this?? [​IMG]
    ~Brent

2. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Brent, does the Denon have a contrast adjustment you could raise? that way you could leave the TV setting alone for your other sources & not have to adjust it every time you watch a DVD.

Don't let me hijack your thread, but was wondering what brought you to go with the 1600 over the 45a? I am eying both players and would appreciate your input.

3. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Luke, I will check about the contrast on the player itself......

Well, the 45a is great for DVD-A/SACD but in watching video sourced material, namely TV shows on DVD, it sucked really bad. I watch a lot of TV on DVD so it just didn't cut it for me. The Denon 1600 has a great de-interlacer and that Fradjida or whatever video chipset that is supposed to be the best made. I have definately noticed the difference. I am in love with the Denon. Granted, it doesn't play "everything" like the Pioneer, but it does DVD-A wonderfully....I have kept the 45a for my music only room. Actually, the only gripe with the Denon is that is doesn't have a "time remaining" feature.....I will get used to it. Oh yeah, when the laser is making big movements and such, like jumping to a chapter or something, it makes a grinding type noise, I am assuming this is normal? Anyone know?

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Brent,

Look in the player's "setup" menu for an item called "black level enhancement" and turn it off when watching interlaced material. I have a Panny CP72, which I think uses pretty much the same video circuitry as the Denon, and it also produces a darker pic on interlaced unless I change the black level setting on the player.

5. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

i got it working good, thanks for the help!!

6. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Denon uses Silicon Image, not Faroudja. At least my 3800 does, I assume the 1600 is similar.

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Brent,

I was not aware that the 53wx42 locks into FULL mode on 480p signals. Are you sure that's the case? I thought this was only an issue w/ last year's Panny's, not this year's.

I still haven't chosen a player to match my new Panny TV yet, so I could not test this for myself.

_Man_