Contrast level of 4x3 grey side bars?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ManW_TheUncool, Jan 31, 2003.

1. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I know, I know. Many of you can't understand why some of us would risk burn-in w/ 4x3 content in any 4x3 mode (black or grey bars). Still...

I noticed last night that the contrast setting on my Panny 53wx42 does NOT seem to affect the grey side bars at all! [​IMG] This is definitely bad news for those of us using this TV's 4x3 mode. Is this perhaps a new (and BAD! [​IMG]) thing limited to the current line of Panny's? Anyone know if this is true of other brand RPTVs?

Note though that I've only tested this for the RF coax input, so maybe this is only limited to that input. My component input from the HD cable box locks into FULL mode due to the 1080i signal, so can't try it there. And I didn't get around to testing it out w/ a 4x3 DVD on the other component input. Will try that tonight.

Btw, I've commented before that I've always found the grey bars too intense compared to what I normally see in the actual 4x3 image, and now, there's more reason to think so. Presumably, they estimated the grey bars to be the average of what torch mode(!) looks like since THAT is the default. And so far, I've seen 2 reports of burn-in from grey bars (on different RPTVs) in the last month or so. [​IMG]

_Man_

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Should note that after the TV is set up correctly, the gray bars are no where near as intrusive as when out of the box or even after using test discs like AVIA.

Regards

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Michael,

Are you sure about this? If the contrast setting doesn't affect the grey bars, then how can setting the TV up "correctly" help? Or am I missing something?

_Man_

4. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    When set up ... the grays tend to look like 30 to 40 ire ... closer to 30 ire ...

Sometimes you have to reduce contrast in the 1080i section to fix the 480P section.

Regards

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Michael,

Are you talking about the 1080i section in the service menu?

I tried changing the contrast at the user level on an input w/ 1080i signal, and that didn't help any. I even used the same picture mode for the adjustment.

Btw, I'm not feeding a 480p signal w/ any source right now. The contrast for the grey bars don't change for 480i inputs no matter what I do at the user level. I thought I'd only need to adjust 1080i for 480p sources, not 480i.

Anyway, judging from the Avia grey patterns in 4x3 mode, my grey side bars look roughly 45 IRE. If they were 30 IRE (or very close), I think I'd be much happier w/ them. Certainly, at 30 IRE, I probably wouldn't worry about any burn-in risk.

Thanks.

_Man_

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Can you tell me what the service level contrast is set at for both 480i and 1080i? It gives me an idea of where you are ... versus where you might be able to go ...

Regards