Contrast from digital projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PeterK, Jan 27, 2006.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Hey, I currently have a hitachi CRT RP. The best thing IMO about this tv is that when I'm watching a movie, and the screen goes black, my room Is completely black. You can't see ANYTHING. When this happens, I can't help sitting there (in the dark) with a big smile on my face. If/when I move into the world of FP will I ever get the same kind of blackness from an LCD or DLP, or any other newly emerging technology ? or is the only was that I'll be able to get the blackness I love so much, is to buy another CRT?

thanks

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There will always be a limit for technologies that use a bulb in the back because the bulb cannot be turned off and on on a whim.

You might want good blacks, but the digital technologies also offer a whole number of advantages that the CRT can't match.

Virtually no warm up time.
    Brighter
    Color uniformity
    Great geometry
    No Convergence issues
    Better color palette
    more accurate grayscales

(Obviously CRT's also have other advantages ... but the answers will soon become moot anyway since you won't be able to buy a crt projector anymore.)

REgards

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You're not going to get absolute black with a digital, so you'll have to stick with CRT. The closest you will get to this attribute (which is defined by on/off CR), is with the Sony Ruby.