What's new

Contrast from digital projectors (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Hey, I currently have a hitachi CRT RP. The best thing IMO about this tv is that when I'm watching a movie, and the screen goes black, my room Is completely black. You can't see ANYTHING. When this happens, I can't help sitting there (in the dark) with a big smile on my face. If/when I move into the world of FP will I ever get the same kind of blackness from an LCD or DLP, or any other newly emerging technology ? or is the only was that I'll be able to get the blackness I love so much, is to buy another CRT?

thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There will always be a limit for technologies that use a bulb in the back because the bulb cannot be turned off and on on a whim.

You might want good blacks, but the digital technologies also offer a whole number of advantages that the CRT can't match.

Virtually no warm up time.
Brighter
Color uniformity
Great geometry
No Convergence issues
Better color palette
more accurate grayscales

(Obviously CRT's also have other advantages ... but the answers will soon become moot anyway since you won't be able to buy a crt projector anymore.)

REgards

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You're not going to get absolute black with a digital, so you'll have to stick with CRT. The closest you will get to this attribute (which is defined by on/off CR), is with the Sony Ruby.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks