Contract negotiations-are they written differently these days?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Since I've read several times that a release may be on VHS but not DVD due to a contractual restriction, I was wondering about this.
    Are more being written today with newer talent that have a provision that says something like "this film may be released on VHS, DVD or any other potential future format..."
    ------------------
    "What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
    Stolen from a BBS in 1985

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As I've mentioned in another thread, I hope any re-worded agreements these days include language concerning rights of items that could be used as supplements, like trailers, music videos, behind-the-scenes stuff, etc.
    I DON'T encourage that the agreement show that "everything is proprietary to the party that owns the movie". Things are not always cut-and-dried like that, and blanket rights agreements are rarely fair.
    I just encourage that the language spell out who gets what in exact terms, and suggests methods for tracking down rights-holders as that ownership shifts parties, and maybe methods of arbitration when items which to be licensed but agreement can't be made for compensation.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....