What's new

Contract negotiations-are they written differently these days? (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Since I've read several times that a release may be on VHS but not DVD due to a contractual restriction, I was wondering about this.
Are more being written today with newer talent that have a provision that says something like "this film may be released on VHS, DVD or any other potential future format..."
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As I've mentioned in another thread, I hope any re-worded agreements these days include language concerning rights of items that could be used as supplements, like trailers, music videos, behind-the-scenes stuff, etc.
I DON'T encourage that the agreement show that "everything is proprietary to the party that owns the movie". Things are not always cut-and-dried like that, and blanket rights agreements are rarely fair.
I just encourage that the language spell out who gets what in exact terms, and suggests methods for tracking down rights-holders as that ownership shifts parties, and maybe methods of arbitration when items which to be licensed but agreement can't be made for compensation.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks