1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Continued missed opportunities for SACD & DVD-A...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kevin C Brown, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Just saw in another thread that the new Allman Bros Fillmore East SACD is probably the original track list, and not the extended versions of the last 2 remasters. If true: not smart.

New Heart remasters coming out. No word on high res versions.

Deluxe version of Who's Next. No high res version.

Newly remastered version of the Final Cut with an extra track on it. No high res version.

The newly remastered versions of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk with extra tracks. No high res verions.

And just because I remember this one too, DVD-A of Deep Purple's Machine Head. But didn't include the extra "remixed" version of the entire lp that was included with the original UK (and now Rhino) remastered CD versions. Not smart.

Personally, I'm getting frustrated.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Just saw in another thread that the new Allman Bros Fillmore East SACD is probably the original track list, and not the extended versions of the last 2 remasters. If true: not smart.

New Heart remasters coming out. No word on high res versions.

Deluxe version of Who's Next. No high res version.

Newly remastered version of the Final Cut with an extra track on it. No high res version.

The newly remastered versions of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Tusk with extra tracks. No high res verions.

And just because I remember this one too, DVD-A of Deep Purple's Machine Head. But didn't include the extra "remixed" version of the entire lp that was included with the original UK (and now Rhino) remastered CD versions. Not smart.

Personally, I'm getting frustrated.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    I'd be less frustrated if there were more RECENT releases and a wider variety of artists coming out on high-res. Personally, I could care less about rehashed 1970's/80's catalog titles from aging stadium rockers. High-res needs variety, not just Pink Floyd and Fleetwod Mac. But hey, at the rate new SACD/DVD-A releases are coming out we're not getting much of anything anyway. Maybe I should just sell my universal player and be happy with Redbook CD.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    I'd be less frustrated if there were more RECENT releases and a wider variety of artists coming out on high-res. Personally, I could care less about rehashed 1970's/80's catalog titles from aging stadium rockers. High-res needs variety, not just Pink Floyd and Fleetwod Mac. But hey, at the rate new SACD/DVD-A releases are coming out we're not getting much of anything anyway. Maybe I should just sell my universal player and be happy with Redbook CD.

5. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Isn't the existing DVD-A of Rumours already hi-rez?[​IMG]

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Isn't the existing DVD-A of Rumours already hi-rez?[​IMG]

7. Iver

Iver Second Unit

There's a reissue of Bowie's Diamond Dogs with a handful of additional tracks included. Likewise, this is, AFAIK, Redbook CD.

It seems that there's kind of a rule: if it's something you REALLY want (the new live Dylan, for example), it's not out in hi-rez.

The high rez releases are not a very good cross section of what's in print. Even if they were to continue releasing so few recordings in hi-rez, you'd think they'd at least make it a healthy mix of old, new, borrowed, blue, etc.

It looks like they're just out to milk back catalog releases on which the revenues for sales of the Redbook CD versions have begun to dry up.

Only the boutique labels have made a decent effort to satisfy purchasers of hi-rez titles.

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

There's a reissue of Bowie's Diamond Dogs with a handful of additional tracks included. Likewise, this is, AFAIK, Redbook CD.

It seems that there's kind of a rule: if it's something you REALLY want (the new live Dylan, for example), it's not out in hi-rez.

The high rez releases are not a very good cross section of what's in print. Even if they were to continue releasing so few recordings in hi-rez, you'd think they'd at least make it a healthy mix of old, new, borrowed, blue, etc.

It looks like they're just out to milk back catalog releases on which the revenues for sales of the Redbook CD versions have begun to dry up.

Only the boutique labels have made a decent effort to satisfy purchasers of hi-rez titles.

9. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

They, The Powers That Be, could do that with Dual Layer Discs, ala Rolling Stones reissues.
    It's more than that (meaning: WORSE than that).
    Last time I saw DVD-A/SA-CD sales figures (I believe for 4th quarter 2003), the two HiRez sales where 10% of vinyl sales. Yikes!!!

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

They, The Powers That Be, could do that with Dual Layer Discs, ala Rolling Stones reissues.
    It's more than that (meaning: WORSE than that).
    Last time I saw DVD-A/SA-CD sales figures (I believe for 4th quarter 2003), the two HiRez sales where 10% of vinyl sales. Yikes!!!

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Gordon- I don't think that's the mix of the latest CD, and I know it doesn't include all the extra tracks that the new CD does.

I'm just beginning to feel, that while there was *some* momentum built by DSOTM, Tommy, and Goodby Yellow Brick Road, that it's kind of been lost. And the funny thing is, I *have* thought about swapping the universal player I have now to go back to a killer DVD-V/CD only player, but I can't. [​IMG] I have listened to the future, and I like it. I just wish they'd all get their act together.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Gordon- I don't think that's the mix of the latest CD, and I know it doesn't include all the extra tracks that the new CD does.

I'm just beginning to feel, that while there was *some* momentum built by DSOTM, Tommy, and Goodby Yellow Brick Road, that it's kind of been lost. And the funny thing is, I *have* thought about swapping the universal player I have now to go back to a killer DVD-V/CD only player, but I can't. [​IMG] I have listened to the future, and I like it. I just wish they'd all get their act together.

13. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Rumours as noted above is available on DVD-A. I have not followed it recently but Tusk was scheduled for DVD-A. Hopefully it is like many hi-rez things, just delayed a bit. It is, however, very frustrating. I completely agree. Right now I've fallen behind in listening due to finish a project and have a bunch of CDs and SACDs left to listen to and a couple of DVD-As and SACDs and CDs on my next buy list. After that there is little announced on the horizon. I'll sometimes hold off buying the CD hoping for hi-rez but I've found myself doing that less recently. It is definitely a lost opportunity as once I have a good version, it will be few and far between the titles I'll rebuy.

14. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Duran Duran just signed with Epic Records (Sony) for their upcoming album with the original 5 members. Given their hugely successful tours last year and earlier this year in Japan, Europe, and here in the States, I think a single-inventory SACD release for the upcoming album will generate much interest for the format.

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Duran Duran just signed with Epic Records (Sony) for their upcoming album with the original 5 members. Given their hugely successful tours last year and earlier this year in Japan, Europe, and here in the States, I think a single-inventory SACD release for the upcoming album will generate much interest for the format.

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    A lot of hirez jazz reissues have included extra material so the picture is not all bad.

I don't think you can expect every remaster with bonus material to have a hirez issued.

And just because hirez versions are not out now does not mean they will not issue them in the future.

I'm pretty excited about the Allman Bros. releases. I betcha we see more Pink Floyd titles as well.

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    A lot of hirez jazz reissues have included extra material so the picture is not all bad.

I don't think you can expect every remaster with bonus material to have a hirez issued.

And just because hirez versions are not out now does not mean they will not issue them in the future.

I'm pretty excited about the Allman Bros. releases. I betcha we see more Pink Floyd titles as well.

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Kevin,

I spoke with David Chesky. He says the big problem with title releases has been the threatening letters from The Harry Fox Agency regarding asking for 2-3x royaltees. This is affecting all of hirez from DVDA to DualDisc to SACD. Until they work these things out, it may remain slow. I would not interpret this as any lack of desire to release product.

Let's wait and see if Sony is successfull in bring Bruce Springsteen or more Pink Floyd to us.

Maybe DualDisc will be a uniting format that will prompt Harry Fox to reach an agreement on the royaltees.

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Kevin,

I spoke with David Chesky. He says the big problem with title releases has been the threatening letters from The Harry Fox Agency regarding asking for 2-3x royaltees. This is affecting all of hirez from DVDA to DualDisc to SACD. Until they work these things out, it may remain slow. I would not interpret this as any lack of desire to release product.

Let's wait and see if Sony is successfull in bring Bruce Springsteen or more Pink Floyd to us.

Maybe DualDisc will be a uniting format that will prompt Harry Fox to reach an agreement on the royaltees.

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

One more: Another remaster of Cream's Disraeli Gears is coming. But no word on a high res version.