Content Costs Rant

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John S, Oct 4, 2005.

1. John S

John S Producer

Probably not the right forum....

But at my address I have three options for paid content.

Comcast Cable
    Dish Network
    Direct TV

Direct TV:
    The cheapest package to get like say ESPN is $31.95, I can get my regional fox sports for another $5 (Imporatnt for loval hockey coverage). $36.95 to watch TV???? Seems way to high to me. I think my limit is going to be about $25 per month at best. I was going to order it anyways, and they gave me some rediculously far off installation date. $49 install, free if I commit to 18 months!!

Dish Network:
    $41.95, Only if I commit for a year. But this is to high for me, Heck that's equal to my electric bill. But they could install this week.

Comcast
    $44.95 Extended basic, no digital, no premium channels. They have a basic package for $13.95 that doesn't anything at all I want. Next day install though.

I am just amazed at what it costs to watch TV these days, I guess I am priced out of the market. I'll stick with OTA HDTV, it's free and generally of good quality. Are these prices inline with what people typically pay these days?

Ok, Rant off. [​IMG] Thanks for reading.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I subscribe to the DirecTV premium package. Right around $110/month. Two DirecTivos so I can record four shows at the same time.

-Robert

3. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I pay $120 per month for Basic Cable, Digital Cable, HDTV w/ DVR, and cable modem i-net access. No premium channels. It seems very high to me I dont even watch the digital channels but they are part of a "package" so it actually would cost more if I dropped them. Cant get OTA HDTV where Im at so they only two options are satellite or cable.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I refuse to pay a single penny to get any channel that shows commercials- THOSE are what pays for the programming.

Channels that keep their logos onscreen all the time have to pay ME to watch them! [​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

Ok, so others are feeling similar.

Thanks, I have been going over my bills.

$30 for the cheapest phone service after they add all the taxes. To much too, for what is now considered a basic neccessity.

I'm in I.T. and work pays for my home internet thankfuly.

I am a Cincy home boy from way back, all I wanted to do was watch the Bengals this Sunday night. Geeesh, Ok, well and some darn hockey since there is finaly going to be hockey again. $36.95 Dish Network for those two, $31.95 for just the ESPN, I mean other stuff too though, just not a lot I would actually watch.

Maybe they need to try the music route, only pay for each program you watch or something. I dunno.

Thanks for the replies, at least I know other are paying that or even more in most cases.

6. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I'm in pretty much the same territory as Robert_J (Direct TV Premium with NFL Sunday Ticket); we just dropped the Showtime package as we deemed the content wasn't worth the money for us. HDTV will have to wait...[​IMG]

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Look on the bright side...Prices will more then like keep going up and up... As my Dad would say... "Anything other then basic TV is a want and not a need" .... I tend to agree myself. My Dish bill is over 100/month. Do I like it- no- Its a necessary evil for me though [​IMG]

8. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I get my local HD via antenna. I pay a premium for ESPN HD, HBO programming and the NFL season ticket. Do I like my $70 monthly bill or $120 for the 4 months during the NFL season? No. But to get the full enjoyment out of my HT, I need the HD programming and DD 5.1 feeds. I get much more enjoyment out of the nfl, mlb, deadwood, lost and 24. DVDs are great, but live sports with 1080i and 5.1 audio is worth the cost to me. Each of us has to decide for ourselves what is worth it.

9. John S

John S Producer

I agree. I get enough content in general right now. I know I can't afford pay HD anything anymore. I just wanted or want cheap NTSC feeds. $36.95 to $44.95 to watch ESPN, and The Avalanche isn't that much I suppose. I mean you get a lot of channels at that point, probably makes more sense the more different people you have watching. Since I am basically alone, the price per what is actually watched is high. I feel like I am paying for a lot I don't watch.

In all honesty if Dish could of installed sooner they would have had me. [​IMG] But more than 2 weeks away from being installed? Seems way to long, so I got concerned in general, about their service in general.

10. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Directv uses regional installers, but you can also buy through BB or CC and they have their own outside installers that could get to you sooner. I joined directv last year right about this time and only had to wait a couple days. If you do go the CC route, learn from my mistake. Get the price from CC, then call directv and see if there is anything else they can offer you in discounts and rebates. They may throw a few things on top of your lowest price like programming credits to help you out.

11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I pay about $65/mo for Comcast Digital Classic, with HD. I'm not happy about it, but that's the only way I can get ESPN-HD, NBC-HD and FSN-HD where I live. Dish and DirecTV are not options for me, I live in a condo and my angle to the sats is blocked by trees, redwoods.

12. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I live in a valley so OTA reception is almost nonexistent and my HOA doesn't allow roof top antennas to make up for it. A hundred bucks a month gets me Adelphia everything package....HD (8) channels, all the ESPN's, all the movie channels, etc. On demand stuff too but I've never used that nor do I utilize the foreign language channels (unless it's while listening to Pink Floyd or the like [​IMG] )

It works for me.

Mort

13. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Mort...Federal law allows you too have an antenna and no home owners association can tell you other wise. We looke it up when ours complained about our dish being in the front of the house! I'd definatly look it up...I can find out more info for ya also need be- However...no matter what the home oweners association thinks....They cannot keep you from putting up an antenna! Period! BTW..my wife is the president of our HOA [​IMG]

thomas and good luck.