Contemplating new speakers... Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylM, Mar 1, 2003.

1. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

So, I currently have a Polk setup with RT 800i's for the mains, CS 400i for the center, and RT 35i's for the rears. I sold my receiver (Sony 333ES), because I plan to upgrade to separates. Since I have decided to upgrade, I thought that I should consider upgrading the speakers too. I want to get maximum system performance within a reasonable budget (diminishing returns and all that).

Are there other speakers out there that are demonstrably superior to the Polks within a $2,000 price range? Perhaps Paradigms or B&Ws? I would prefer an 8 ohm impedance (nothing below 6) and a minium sensitivity of 89 dB. I'm not interested in speakers that are particularly "warm" or "bright," since I prefer everything in my system to be as transparent as possible. Real wood veneer like the Polks would be a nice bonus, as well.

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

How about looking at the LSI series. They've been playing to raves. Do you have a subwoofer?

3. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the LSIs are 4-ohm speaker, though. I would prefer speakers that I could eventually relegate to a bedroom or garage system or something when I upgrade again down the road -- or perhaps even sell. Most AV receivers were not designed to drive 4-ohm speakers well, which limits their application, in my opinion...

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

If this is $2K for 5 speakers, then have Brian at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com build you 5 GR Research A/V-1 speakers. I finished a pair about a month ago, and am always stunned by the sound. I posted a review here and at AA. I have read where Secrets of HT and High Fidelity will shortly post a review of the A/V-1s and they are closely compared to some Dynaudios costing about $2K. They are really great speakers, and you can get them in one of three finishes of your choice. Check out the pictures at Brian's site (BTW, he is a great guy to deal with, and will answer all of your questions - Customer service is great).

Hope this helps.

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

George mentioned the A/V 1's... there are a lot of other DIY options as well; you could ask the DIY forum about those if you're planning to do that sort of thing. Of course, Kyle or Brian among others would be happy to build finished speakers for you so it's not really DIY at all. I own Adire Kit281s (another popular design that's basically your typical hi-fi tower) and have been very happy with them. And Jon Marsh and Thomas W have come up with a very impressive design using the same tweeter as the Rocket and Polk speakers (I have little doubt that they sound better, and you could have them built for a lower price.) The price/performance ratio works pretty well with this sort of thing. What's the price on the A/V 1's, $600 a pair?