Contacting Scifi re logo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DwightK, Dec 14, 2002.

1. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Is there any way to provide feedback or contact the scifi chanel concerning their new logo?

It is BRIGHT white and I'm afraid it will start burning in my screen.

I went through their website and emailed them but immediately got back a form mail that basically said we don't care and wont read any email.

I'm about to turn off my favorite channel and would really like to express my concerns to the channel before shutting them out.

Therir previous logo was very inobtrusive and effective.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Do what I did- cancel your cable, and let them know the reason why. The only inobtrusive logo is NO logo!

3. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I canna do that! OLN has live coverage of bike racing and the Louis Vuitton Cup. Plus the Sunday Ticket for my Steelers. And Speedvision for all the F1 and Rally races. If it wasn't for those, cancelling might be an option:b

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

5. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    I consider myself a SCI-FI "short timer". If I have rare reason to watch the channel, to catch the last of Farscape for example, I play with my zoom settings.

Every half hour or so, I toggle through a different zoom mode, moving logo (and unfortunately losing picture quality) in the process.

Once Farscape's run is done, I don't see much reason to watch the channel.

My attitude toward the channel may change if they start catering to their audience and drop shows like the idiotic dream analysis, the John Edwards show, and that "Tremors" series.

If they were to renew Farscape, I'll take up the fight for a new logo. Until then, I'll be watching Farscape about as often as I watch "HBO Latin".

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

7. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Them would be DirecTV. I can't imagine how contacting DirecTV about this can make a difference as I have no means to threaten them (not unsubscribing).

Maybe Universal/Vivendi? Googling.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It won't a difference who you contact. The networks have made it very clear the logos are here to stay (and the hell with what you think, etc., etc.). They will cease the practice once they are made too (that is, by political force).

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They would not be "here to stay" if people STOPPED watching, which unfortunately not enough seem willing to do (with no viewers, there won't be any advertisers either!)
    At this point, the viewers are as much to blame since they keep watching.

10. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

Onscreen network logos are in place so that channel surfers will know exactly which channel they are on (assuming it is not currently in commercial) and hopefully, stay and watch some programming.

I understand this in practice, but quite frankly, it's useless. It's only important that the networks get their 'brand' across to the small number of Neilsen families, so why do we all have to suffer?

How about a plan that might actually work? I recommend writting Directv, and Sci-fi network the same (real, paper version) letter and suggesting that sci-fi makes a 'bug free' version of their channel available to Directv, Dish Network, and any Cable system that carries it in the digital tier. My reasoning? These delivery methods provide channel info (and so much more) via an onscreen guide. There is no use in duplicating this information and annoying the veiwer that chooses to STAY on the channel.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Onscreen network logos are in place so that channel surfers will know exactly which channel they are on (assuming it is not currently in commercial) and hopefully, stay and watch some programming."

Which, of course, is ridiculous, since I will usually think "Well, this looks like it would be a good show, but it's ruined with that onscreen logo!" and turn it off!

12. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I didn't mind that previous Scifi logo. It was a muted grey saturn that was much smaller and was see-through. the new logo is much longer, a brilliant white color and not see-through.

I have used the logos to find channels when visitin my parents as their cable has a super slow motion scrolling guide that takes eons to get loop around. And any time I evern switch to that channel to see what's up the channel I wanted to check was the one that just went off screen.

At home with DirecTV I do not need the logo's with the built in, informative, guide.

I just want them to swith back to the old logo although removing logos forever would be much preferred. Small steps....

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But most of us don't "need" the logos at all.

14. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

Jack is right that it would take political force to remove the logos. The thing is that I think most people have so many other troubles to worry about each day that they just do not have the energy to organize and put up a fight. Then there are those who do not care to begin with. Political force would have to be "strong in nature" due to the "nature of the beast" that one is dealing with here.

There are perhaps other ways of looking at these acts of abominations. One I think for sure is that the logo will dissuate you from making a personal copy of a program you like so it can be sold on tape or disc for you to spend money on the item at a future date. Besides the logos, there is advertising going on the screen for upcoming shows while the show you are watching is on. Folks, these networks are waging a war on us, the viewing public, a technical war as I see it. Our "implied viewing rights" are being tampered with and being forced on us. Since this is a private forum I will not propose what should be done. Even if I wrote any proposals, that doesnot necessarily mean they could even work.