What's new

Contact coming in October! (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr

Sadly, the HDNet screen caps looked superior to the BD ones in DVDBeaver.com's review.
It is odd cause the BD looks better definition wise but the color correction that was done on the HD BD transfer is odd. Usually BD image quality gives a more natural skin tone, but the BD seems to not do so. Most cases more red and not natural looking at all.

I can't believe this transfer got fouled up. I guess we can wait for another corrected edition for the transfer supervised by the filmmakers in about 10 years and they can put a sticker on it saying so.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Clearly there seems to be more detail in the BR than the HD broadcast (as one would hope), but what is with that red shift? I guess someone thought the movie color was dull and wanted to warm it up a bit. Every screenshot seems to have that red shift, except for one. Oddly in the one shot of Jodie's eyes (near the bottom of the page), the BR image lookes the "coolest" (i.e. least red). Usually the HD broadcast color tone matches the DVD. But, in this image the DVD looks red, while the BR looks dull, and, the HD broadcast looks vibrant. That shot is also a good example of how much more detail the BR has over the HD broadcast.

The perfect release would probably the BR with the HD broadcast's color timing. In general watching, it'll probably still look fine even with the odd color tone.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Agreed. The BD images seem more detailed to me. I'm more concerned about what prompted the color shift.

Originally Posted by Bill Buklis

Clearly there seems to be more detail in the BR than the HD broadcast (as one would hope), but what is with that red shift? I guess someone thought the movie color was dull and wanted to warm it up a bit. Every screenshot seems to have that red shift, except for one. Oddly in the one shot of Jodie's eyes (near the bottom of the page), the BR image lookes the "coolest" (i.e. least red). Usually the HD broadcast color tone matches the DVD. But, in this image the DVD looks red, while the BR looks dull, and, the HD broadcast looks vibrant. That shot is also a good example of how much more detail the BR has over the HD broadcast.

The perfect release would probably the BR with the HD broadcast's color timing. In general watching, it'll probably still look fine even with the odd color tone.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Boy, those comparisons at DVD Beaver are startling. The last time I watched this on DVD (not too long ago) I did think the colors looked a bit drab, and wondered if it was what it looked like in theaters. It sure looks likes they punched it up... but yikes, that shot of the eye is disturbing.

Now I'm torn about what was a must buy. It's certainly a net win over the DVD IMHO, as the DVD really has some unfortunate mpeg artifacts, especially in night scenes. But the DNR reports and that extreme red shift are troubling to say the least.

Is it really that hard to do this right?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
After looking at those screen caps on DVDBeaver I'd say the Blu-ray release looks the best, a couple of those the reds seems a bit to strong but calibration of displays, screens and so much more go into affecting colors that I'm not too concerned. I plan to buy this on street day, it's just too good of a film and from what I've seen, looks great on Blu.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, i pre-ordered it already ='(.

i am so sad, what is UP with all this DNR crap? no1 is complaining to the studios about film grain... why do they have to mess things up?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Be careful how much weight you place on Gary's screencaps. As I recall, his caps @ one point had colorspace issues and I'm not sure if that's been corrected yet.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Be careful how much weight you place on Gary's screencaps. As I recall, his caps @ one point had colorspace issues and I'm not sure if that's been corrected yet.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see this for myself. I still have it on pre-order and I'm not going to cancel it. Honestly, looking at those screen caps I don't see any obvious DNR issues. It still looked better than any of the other sources in terms of detail. Colorspace problems could certainly account for the incorrect color tone.

I'm sure in normal motion this disc will probably look just fine.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

I frequent Gary's site on almost a daily basis. I agree with you about there having been a colorspace issue in the past with a few images. But, I must say that good, bad or indifferent, Gary's screen caps are always very consistent (especially in his own personal reviews.) Based on the vast number of screen captures posted each week at DVD Beaver that I have seen, I have to say that these look dramatically different. I'll be very surprised if these screen captures do not accurately reflect the actual look of this disc. Those reds are totally out of control IMO and I know I will be completely distracted by them if I were to watch this BD. If this is a DVD Beaver technical issue then fine, I'll gladly reconsider and pick up a copy. Otherwise, I am going to sit this one out. And it pains me to say that since I have been anxiously awaiting Contact on BD.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
http://www.imagebam.com/image/efc9ef50821530
http://www.imagebam.com/image/2e1c5a50821531
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d2c71c50821532
http://www.imagebam.com/image/32926250821534

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm really hoping the screen caps are not quite right or something. I did even download the pics to see if I could verify potential colorspace problem in (my old version of) Photoshop CS, but no dice in part because the pic files (as shown on the site) do not retain colorspace info at all. I also tried a simple correlated comparison w/ say one of their Braveheart screen caps (since nobody reported problems there), but no dice there either after an initial (false) impression of a visual discrepancy.

Too bad to see that this film *might* not have gotten the proper treatment This one may end up being another tough choice to simply bite the bullet and buy it flaws and all, if I can find it at a hard-to-resist bargain price (much like the Amadeus BD) -- that is, if the PQ issues are real of course...

_Man_

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by JediFonger

http://www.imagebam.com/image/efc9ef50821530
http://www.imagebam.com/image/2e1c5a50821531
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d2c71c50821532
http://www.imagebam.com/image/32926250821534
Thanks for posting those, it looks great. A must add to the collection for sure.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... The caps posted by JediFonger don't seem to exhibit the same color bias issue as those on DVDBeaver though -- at least nothing that obvious -- but then again, we don't have comparison caps to see side-by-side for these...

_Man_

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
JediFonger's screen-grabs look MUCH better than the DVDBeaver review images. I hope a couple more reviews are published before the Blu-ray streets so we can definitively clear this up one way or another...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Hmmm... The caps posted by JediFonger don't seem to exhibit the same color bias issue as those on DVDBeaver though -- at least nothing that obvious -- but then again, we don't have comparison caps to see side-by-side for these...

_Man_

Originally Posted by pitchman

JediFonger's screen-grabs look MUCH better than the DVDBeaver review images. I hope a couple more reviews are published before the Blu-ray streets so we can definitively clear this up one way or another...
Exactly why screen grabs are useless, and makes me wonder why so many put so much stock in captured images posted on a website.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I'll be buying this next Tuesday, then I'll decide for myself. I agree JF's grabs look much better than Gary's.

Like Patton, this film is too good to pass up for some minor video issues. For me anyway. I expect that the Contact Blu-ray, like Patton, will be a major step up from the DVD. Unfortunately, not every title will look as good as Braveheart or The Wizard of Oz. They still almost always blow away their DVD counterparts. YMMV.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Screencap colorspace issues aside, I'd like to read another review just to get a second opinion regarding the "egregious use of DNR" Gary mentioned in his DVDBeaver review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks