What's new

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

There is this song that is in the movie "Contact" that I know I have heard it before but can't think of who is the artist.
It's on the dvd in the beginning when they have all of those radio and songs bunched together playing really fast. To be specific where this song is played for a couple of seconds, it's at TC 01:09-01:11. Just as the camera is passing a planet.

Is there a list of all the songs that were played in that segment?
I have tried looking in the credits but no luck.

Thanks
Jonathon

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
All I know about that segment is that Robert Zemeckis tossed in a BTTF reference with a few bars of "Power Of Love".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If I liked Zemeckis' earlier work, would I like "Contact"?

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig

Definitely. I think it's his best movie, and Jodie Foster gives the best performance ever seen in one of his films (and that includes Oscar-winner Tom Hanks in "Forrest Gump").

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
I am a big fan of Contact, but it definetely falls into the style of his later work (Forrest Gump, Castaway), than the action packed adventures of his early career (BTTF, Romancing the Stone). As John mentioned the earlier work specifically I wouldn't recommend a blind buy, but it's definitely worth watching, especially if you've also enjoyed Zemeckis later work!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
One of the more intelligent SF pictures of the last 7 or 8 years.

Thought provoking, exhilariting, and deftly handles scientific and religious viewpoints in a fair and equitable manner.

As usual, the book by Carl Sagan is better.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
OK... while were on the subject of songs in movies.... I've struggled to identify a track in Ali... it's during the sequence where he is travelling home on the train. It's not on either of the soundtracks.

Any ideas???

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
That song has always infuriated me. Elvis Costello was up for a Grammy for best new artist and it went instead to A Taste of Honey on the strength of Boogie Oogie Oogie and they were never heard from again. That was my introduction to the sham that is the Grammies.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So Mark, who had the last laugh? Elvis Costello did, who's still going very strong today, even without that Grammy!

I think that his lasting legendary status will be the final say in the matter. :)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
If you like well-crafted intelligent scifi then IMHO this is a safe blind buy, especially considering you can usually find the disk for around $10.

The film really took me by surprise when I first saw it. For some reason I had low expectations (even though I'm a fan of Zemeckis), but I thought it was fantastic. The only weak link in it for me was Matthew McConaughey, but Jodie Foster (and John Hurt in a great performance) more than made up for that minor deficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks