Consumer Reports TV Ratings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

No I don't use Consumer Reports when buying electronic gear so no flames. I just thought people might be interested in their report. www.consumerreports.org Than find the box that reads "CRXTRA" and enter the code 121 for TV's or 122 for DVD players. They will be adding more tests Dec. 7th & the reports will be up untill Jan. 6th. Have fun & again, no flames please[​IMG]

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I only read the reviews for 27" sets. It appears that Samsung is the clear winner--theirs are the only sets whose rear panel connections are clearly labeled. [​IMG]
    (BTW, this is actually a gripe of mine, those poorly labeled connections. I hate when you have to get behind there with a flashlight and shine the light from the side to get the raised black-on-black letters to show up. Hmm. Maybe I'll buy a Samsung!)
    Jan

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I hate that, too. Would simply adding white paint to the upraised lables raise the prices that much.

Though Consumer Reports can often be exasperating to the enthusiast/hobbyist crowd, the magazine's repair-rating graphs are enormously helpful. And note that it is always stuff by Thomson Multimedia (RCA, GE) that rates the worst.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Just thought I'd add this before someone asks how they judge the Picture Quality:
    A picture is shown on a Sony Pro Monitor & then each set is adjusted to try & look like the Sony Monitor using the picture controls on the the tv that the "Average" person would use. They DO NOT ENTER THE SERVICE MODE. The picture is then compared to the Sony Monitor by a panel of experts[​IMG]