Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
1) Onkyo HT-S790 (7.1) $450
2) Panasonic SC-RT50 $575
3) Yamaha YHT-670 (6.1) $600

And these Best Buys:

8) Panasonic SC-HT740 $335
9) Samsung HT-Q45 $295

If anyone has any questions, I will try to answer them.

flags

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Does the HT-S790 set up as a 5.1 have better sound than all the others listed here or is it just the receiver that gets it a higher rating?

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Though not on the list, what is the real difference between the Onkyo S790 and S990? Other than THX certification and what appears to be a different subwoofer, though they are both 12" and 230 watts.

Several hundred more for the 990.

Thanks!

On Edit: The 790 has a 10" sub and the 990 has a 12" sub. Both 230 watts. Also, they are making what I think might be an unrealistic claim, someone correct me if I am wrong. They are claiming an FQ response down to 20hz for the 12" sub with the 990 and 25hz for the 10" on the 790. Are these realistic numbers in a real world situation and not a perfectly set up test situation?

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Another question. Does Onkyo sell or someone else sell speaker stands that made specifically for these speakers? Or is there a set of stands available that would work great for them? Particularly in the "difficult to knock over" catagory?

The person I would recommend this system to has a 3 year old and a 6 month old. The 3 year old is very hands on and touches, knocks over everything, and I suspect the 6 month old will do the same. Also a large dog in the house.

Thanks!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brian

The 990 has a better subwoofer, but IMHO it is not worth the extra $350...I would stick with the 790. Don't know about the stands...good stands are not cheap...if I figure something out regarding stands...I will let you know ASAP

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Out of curiosity, did Consumer Reports list their testing methodology for determining their rankings or was it based on a consumer feedback survey. If the later, was the number of surveys sent out and number received reported?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi JB

Based on the 3 page report on HTIBs in the November 2006 issue, it looks like they did a pretty comprehensive job of actually testing the HTIBs in 3 categories:

1) Sound Quality
2) Ease of Use
3) Features

I have every reason to believe that they actually used their audio engineers and measuring equipment to test the frequency response of these HTIBs, and that they did not use survey responses to obtain these rankings. If you would like to see the complete report, you can join the on-line CR service for $5.95 for one month and cancel your membership at any time. I have had a subscription for almost 30 years and found out about a classic JBL speaker that people find very unusual because I have the original custom made metal stands for them...they have genuine walnut veneers and were the first JBLs to have titanium dome tweeters...I still use them and they sound very very good with excellent bass and treble for their size and weight.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarajohnson10