Consumer Reports Issue covers RPTVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Isaacs, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

Got my Consumer Reports in the mail yesterday. This was a "Big TV" cover story. I don't really know too much one way or the other, so I can't comment on how accurate they were, but I was struck by the lack of attention paid to burn-in potential. There was a single line, with no mention of how to prevent it.

All the RPTVs were in the 50-57" range. No reviews of anything over 3K, save an LCD model.

Anyone have a chance to read that issue yet? Comments?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I cannot say I am holding my breath. Their evaluation criteria is very different from those that we use here at this forum.

Expect them to just turn the user knobs to get a "good" picture and that is all.

Regards

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

It seems that the more I know about a subject, the less I think of CR's comments. But I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

Jan

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

My wife gets it, so I read it through last night. As warned, it's the biggest pile of pure crap I've ever read. AND it also covers DVD burners and DVD players. I swear to God they need to stick to covering Swifters or something!

They use criteria that is SO subjective and not even measurable. Like "picture quality"? What the hell does that mean? Is it measured by resolution, test patterns? Who knows, because they sure don't say. Any all of us who have a rear projection set up should be aware that our HDTV's can't display the same "picture quality" that a tube-based HDTV can. AND they conducted the test with composite and S-Video connections only, although they recommend using component cables.

I could go on, but you get the jist. I fear for the folks buying anything after reading these people's magazine. The only thing I've ever seen of use in it is recall information, and I don't think I'd pay a subscription rate for that!

Matt

5. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

Subjective???

SUBJECTIVE?? We're talking about CONSUMER REPORTS here!

I want you to come into my home and tell me to my FACE that my TV does not perform "Red circle with white dot in the middle"!!!

If you dare even imply that it's only up to "red semicircle" standards I will be mortally offended!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I agree, the more you love a subject, the more you will hate what consumer reports has to say about it. I was once an avid cyclist (on- and off- road) and read a review where they marked several of their nicer bicycles "unacceptable." The criteria? If a reviewer was riding in a STANDING position and applied the front brake ONLY, full force, the bicycle threatened to flip them over the handlebars, that bicycle was "too dangerous."

What's next? Knives that are unacceptable because they're too sharp?

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I would never use consumer report to base my purchase on a RPTV when there are sites like HTF.[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I don't know about their reviews in recent years, but don't they still do reader surveys for things like reliability and repairs and such? The data from such surveys could be useful to some degree, especially if you expect your TV to last a long time.

I still remember reading back in the mid-90's that Sony direct-view TVs were having a fairly high need-for-repair rate w/in the first 3 years of purchase. It was something like 10-11% while many of the other major makers like Tosh, Panny, JVC and Hitachi were maybe 1/2 that or less.

_Man_

8. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

It's out huh? I have the CR online subscription but they haven't updated it for March yet.

Personally, I look to CR for tires, lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners...etc. Not electronics!