Consumer Reports DVD Player Ratings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Just thought I'd post this for people to see & NO I DON'T GO ALONG WITH CR RATINGS.

SINGLE DISC:
    1. Sony DVP-NS315
    2. Pioneer DV-353-K
    3. Toshiba SD-2800

MULTIDISC:
    1. Toshiba SD-2805
    2. Samsung DVD-C621
    3. Sony DVP-NC615

PROGRESSIVE SCAN SINGLE DISC:
    1. JVC XV-SA602SL (XV-SA600BK)
    2. RCA DRC350N
    3. JVC XV-S502SL (XV-S500BK)

PROGRESSIVE SCAN MULTIDISC:
    1. Sony DVP-NC655P
    2. Toshiba SD-3805
    3. Zenith DVD5591

THE FULL REPORT WILL BE UP ON CONSUMER REPORTS WEBSITE FOR FREE FROM Feb. 10 to April 7

consumerreports.org
    Enter Code Number 303 for DVD Players
    Enter Code Number 302 for TV's

2. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

No indication that they'd know anything about the chroma bug or the flicker bug. It's apparent that they're primarily looking at user-friendliness and perceivable build quality. Naturally, these are criteria that are the most subjective and would not be reflected at all on the Secret's Shootout.

Thanks,

Tim

3. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Wow. I actually have their top-rated multi-disc progressive-scan player.
    Unfortunately I believe it has the chroma bug AND quite possibly the flicker bug though I'm not exactly sure how that exhibits itself. If it's a sudden change in brightness, then it has it. For a while, I just thought on some films the cameraman didn't lock in a shutter speed, but I don't think it could be true for so many films.

4. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Well, let me start by saying I have a five year subscription to CR. However, I find their reports on audiovisual equipment laughable, whether they are reviewing TV's, receivers, speakers, or DVD players. I received the new edition today. What's the point of telling readers they are rating the DVD players primarily on picture quality and ease of use and then saying the picture quality for every player is uniformly "red circle" excellent? I think the perceived ease of use factor is what drives the rank ordering since there appears to have been no effort paid to discerning differences in picture quality that should be readily apparent to people using a decent TV set. They actually seem to be hinting in the article that people should be tempted by a Mintek! They sure did an admirable job of buying a lot of cheap DVD players and all kinds of TV sets though. They may have had to rent a new warehouse for all this stuff. I do admire their reviews of spaghetti sauce and paper towels and their auto reviews (except for traditional SUV bashing) have been helpful to me in the past. Their A/V ratings maintain a solid tradition of being good for a chuckle and for letting readers know what was on the market several months ago.

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I gave up on Consumer Reports a few years back when they were saying that there was no perceptible difference between using s-video cables rather than coax, and on and on.

Perhaps they forgot to take their safety goggles off first.

They're good at rating toasters, though.

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    As far as I can tell, CR rates products on features and reliability. Really, unless you are looking for extremely mediocre run-of-the-mill products their reports are of little use. Whether it's cars or ranges or vacuum cleaners. They just do not review the "higher end" characteristics that add perceived value/performance to products.

As far as A/V, the only real good thing CR ever did is call out the B-company using facts...and they paid a high price for it, and have been kinda wimpy ever since (though it allegedly only takes anything short of effusive praise to excite the B-company's lawyers).

7. Han

Han Second Unit

Surprisingly, the Sony DVP-NS315 was also rated as Consumer Report's top microwave oven, refrigerator, and compact automobile.[​IMG]

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I really din't find anything helpful in the DVD tests but one thing that did catch my attention in the TV tests was that the Toshiba Flat Screen's S-Video Input tested as excellent where the Sony's were rated as Very Good & the Samsung TXM2756 which only has Component inputs was rated as Fair.

On the RP TV's The Panasonic's S-VIDEO were rated:
    PT-45LC12 VERY GOOD
    PT-53WX42 GOOD
    PT-53WX52 GOOD
    PT-51HX42 FAIR

That might be helpful to some people? & something to look out for as it might just have been the set they tested.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hee, hee. I recommended the Pioneer player to 2 of my friends, who bought it, over the past 6 months. And, I tried to get my dad to buy one, but he went with Panny instead. I'm gonna look like a genius! [​IMG] (Gots me a 47ai myself.)

10. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Uh-oh! Watch out everyone, CR has found the Denon 1600 and Panasonic XP-30 to be the least desirable progressive scan single disc players out there.