What's new

Consumer Reports: Do you agree? (1 Viewer)

Brad Scott

Agent
Just got the November issue of Consumer Reports with the feature on home theater set-ups. Here are the top 5 recommendations in accuracy for bookshelf speakers:

1. Cambridge Soundworks Newton M80
2. Sony SS-MB35OH
3. BIC America Venturio DV62SI
4. Bose 201 Series V
5. Boston Acoustics CR75

Is there any merit to these selections? I am looking for good front speakers for a surround sound system, and am considering these choices. Which ones would you suggest (or would you suggest something completely different), keeping in mind that none of these exceed $400.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I absolutely agree for the WAF.

I have tried Bose and Cambridge sound and the take up less room and do sound decent.

though I can not EVER remember one instance where where I felt the music, hwere it felt the image filled the front of the listening area.

for the WAF and average consumer these speaker would be great.
scott

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have always felt that CR was a great resource for purchasing an automobile or big appliances, but they have a lot to be desired in terms of Home Theater/Stereo equipment. I am sure there are people on this forum who are as qualified to recommend speakers, as CR is.

The best rule is to just trust your own ears.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
The CSW Newton M80's are a standout in that crowd! I have heard a system comprised of (5)M80's and an SVS 20-39pc+ and it was awesome. The Newton series comprises very accurate, audiophile grade speakers and is easily comparable to Axiom, Rocket...which are highly regarded.:emoji_thumbsup:

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I think its important to keep in mind that CR caters to J6P who dosent expect as much out of their speakers as the people at this forum do. As well I am pretty sure CR sees diminishing returns approach allot faster than we do.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
CR has very little credibility with me. I've found significant flaws in all sorts of their tests, not just audio.

gregD

Second Unit
Consumer Reports is worthless as a guage for subjective audio quality.

Check other speaker threads here for better-informed recommendations.

Nonertheless, the Cambridge SoundWorks products are definitely decent in that price range, and worth your while to audition... there also are many others... check the local stores as a preliminary step.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I think for a quick reference, CR does a decent job and that most of the products they rate well are good performers in there category for the average consumer.
Enthusiast's always hold things to a higher standard than the average consumer and I'm sure if you vist the refrigerator.com forums, the fridge enthusiast will find flaws with CR's ratings just as HT enthusiasts do. :)

GregAV

Agent
Give a listen to the JBL S38's(45-20kHz)Though they're large for bookshelves, as these are meant to be your "mains" perhaps that isn't a problem. A bonus would be at their selling point, you have enough cash left for a SCenterII center channel.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I cannot argue with CR's findings except for the fact that:

1) I believe that Bose makes garbage speakers:

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

http://www.intellexual.net/boseframes.html

2) And, they also recommend *not* putting a sub in a corner, and that it will sound good *anywhere* in a room, which also says that they don't know what they are talking about.

CR does ratings for cars and vacuum cleaners and refrigerators right, but audio? Nope. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the cambridge would be good.

I would strongly recommend paradigm myself. Blows away all those. Yes i'm biased. Another popular would be like the B&W 600 S3, but I didn't like the so much, and more expensive. It's all in the ear of the beholder. But don't bother with CR... i mean cmon.. sony and bose speakers in the top 5? Gimme a break...:rolleyes

DanaA

Screenwriter
IMO, Consumer Reports doesn't have a clue about testing audio equipment and I subscribed to them for many a year. If I'm looking for a washing machine, I'll consult CR to find out which features I might want to include in my purchase or to look at the frequency of repair charts, but not for audio gear. They're also good for things such as information on product recalls, etc.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Consumer Reports is one of the best magazines around...for reading while sitting on the toilet.

Anyone who seriously considers their recommendations need only recall they picked the Fiat 128
http://www.wankel.net/~krwright/imag...iat-LF-tb.html
as a best buy in automobiles - apologized the next year and picked the Rabbit. Repair records on the Rabbit were atrocious, but they never lost their zest for endorsing automobiles.

On the other hand, they occasionally get something right...Stick a Chimpanzee in a room with a typewriter for a hundred years and he'll type out a novel.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Its just like any other magazine. Its good at some things and others it sucks at. It sucks big time on most audio/video reports. I rely on it faithfully for other things except I am even starting to wonder about that. Needed a new toaster last year for the wife an me. Looked at their recommendations, bought the one they liked, it was also the most expensive and I have hated it ever since. Should have taken it back but I have been so pleased in the past with their recommendations that I tossed the box and everthing the first night I got it home. Takes 4 push downs to get a piece of toast toasted... The rule of the story is... if you want a toaster your on your own....

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Ever notice that the Kenmore appliance always gets a higher score than the Whirlpool model that it is a clone of?

EdNichols

Second Unit
I have subscribed to CU for years and have trusted their opinion for many things. Up until I found this forum and really started reading about audio stuff in depth I went by their recommendations on audio stuff also. But, when I read their last years report on speakers and they said it is OK to use regular lamp cord as speaker wire I kind of lost respect for them in the area of audio. Yes, they are OK for the masses, but not for those of us who want more.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Grain of salt the CR stuff in many areas. Take time to do your own research.

Even in CR's so called expertise areas I found the reviews to be too shallow and not pragmatic enough to be of value in any long term purchase.

My opinion only...

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
We are spoiled... can you imagine trying to make an electonics purchase without the internet in this day and age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks